Author Topic: I'm a race car driver!  (Read 6385 times)

Signspotter#19

• Driver
    • View Profile
I'm a race car driver!
« on: July 09, 2007, 01:16:42 PM »
You know that dream we Nascar fans have of driving a car in the Cup series? We know that it will just never happen for the majority of us. So the next best thing for those of us who have no racecar of any kind is go-cart racing.

We have a pretty cool track here in Lubbock. It has a road course with what they call Bullet cars and it has the oval track with Outlaw Style Sprint cars.  They are both really cool and fun to race on.

My first experience there, I found out just how physically demanding it really is to race and it was only a twenty-minute race. My arms felt as if they were dragging the ground. In just 20 laps, I was transformed into a gorilla! One race was just not enough. The road course was fantastic. It took me until the last lap of my last race to figure out that I donít have to push the accelerator as hard as I possibly can to make the car go fast. My right leg was absolutely exhausted by the end of that racing experience.

I am now hooked on go-cart racing. We go as often as we can afford to go. It isnít cheap, so the racing is few and far between. We even took TMS#16 racing there. Since she drives a golf cart at work as if she were in the Cup race, I figured she would blow our tires off. No, she drove like a little grandma on the interstate. Putt-putting around as if she were driving alone on a country road. She had fun though.

Last week, my brother and his family were in town visiting from Atlanta. My husband and I decided it would be fun to take them go-cart racing. It was a scream!

First, the adults did the Outlaw cars on the oval track. I had a really fast car and was on the loose side. It was the #5 car. Oh no, I thought when I first started driving; Iím Kyle Busch. It was a very fast car and I soon was able to find a line to run that was compatible with the handling of the car. I started out dead last due to the fact that my car did not have much get-up-and-go. I was easily catching and passing everyone in about 2 laps. I was in third now and closing in on the 2nd place driver, my brother. I tried the bump and run. I was unsuccessful. I beat and banged on him trying to get around him but he just kept blocking me. Time ran out and I got third place. The owner came up to me afterwards, I thought I was in trouble for aggressive driving, and he congratulated me on a great run and an exciting race to watch. Wow, I was speechless! I have seen this man drive. He is awesome! My head was swollen by this time.

We now decided to race on the road coarse with the kids, my niece and nephew. It was exciting and again I had a really fast car. The green light flashed and I was off like lightning. I quickly found my line. I successfully did a couple of bump and runs. I was doing just great until I came upon my nephew who is 12 years old. He was blocking the crap out of me. The next thing I know, I am being beaten on from behind. It was Signholder! He did a bump and run. Now that is just wrong. I am the only one who is supposed to know what she is doing. How dare he do such a thing. I am flabbergasted. The next thing I know I am spinning around because my nephew decided it would be a fun thing to do. I am sure you can tell by now that I did not win that race. I think Signholder won it.

We did a total of five or six races. By the last race there were some issues between the adults that had yet to be addressed. Unbeknown to me, my brother was harboring some ill feelings toward me for spinning him in a previous race in the outlaw cars. We were now on the road coarse for the last race. We were off and I was in my good, fast car that I had in the first road race. I hadnít even made it through the 3rd turn when my brother decided to retaliate. I was hit hard and sent spinning into the tires. I had to wait for a worker to come pry me out of the tires. By then, I was a lap down. My hopes for winning were overcome with revenge. I found and quickly caught up with my brother. I sent him for a spin he will never forget. As he was being helped out of the tires, which by the way is their version of the safer barrier, he was chastised for aggressive driving. I was satisfied with my revenge and was now focused on winning. That didnít last long. My nephew was out of control with his car. He simply could not handle it. He spun everyone, especially me, every time he was near one of us. He was even spinning himself when he was on the backstretch by himself! Needless to say, I didnít win the race. The only consolation was, my brother didnít either. My aching body made me realize that I had forgotten what I had learned my first time racing, you donít have to mash the hell out of the accelerator to make it go fast. Dang I wish I had remembered that. It would have made for a lot less aches and pains.

It was a lot of fun. I packed my aching gorilla body in the car and headed home fighting the urge to bump and run the cars ahead of me on the way home. It wasnít Nascar but it was a BLAST!
« Last Edit: July 09, 2007, 11:32:01 PM by Signspotter#19 »
"Everyone's invited to the Barn for bologna burgers next Saturday night"

#1Jimmiefan

• Driver
    • View Profile
    • Myspace
Re: I'm a racer car driver!
« Reply #1 on: July 09, 2007, 09:30:29 PM »
The green-eyed jealousy monster is rearing it's ugly head right now! I wish we had some place to do that around here but it seems all the tracks are either up near KS or down by TX.  We'd have to make it a weekend adventure to justify the cost of gas, etc. :(

Signspotter#19

• Driver
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 09, 2007, 10:45:59 PM »
The green-eyed jealousy monster is rearing it's ugly head right now! I wish we had some place to do that around here but it seems all the tracks are either up near KS or down by TX.  We'd have to make it a weekend adventure to justify the cost of gas, etc. :(

Love to have you come. We would have a blast!

#1Jimmiefan

• Driver
    • View Profile
    • Myspace
« Reply #3 on: July 09, 2007, 11:27:28 PM »
I think you and I would break the bank on the tracks, but da#$ it would be a blast!
I am about to pick up a bunch of OT at work, maybe someday in the not too distant future...

Signspotter#19

• Driver
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 09, 2007, 11:28:56 PM »
I think you and I would break the bank on the tracks, but da#$ it would be a blast!
I am about to pick up a bunch of OT at work, maybe someday in the not too distant future...

I can't wait. I'll start saving now!

Quack

• Administrator
  • Driver
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 09, 2007, 11:31:43 PM »

Bring it on!  I'm ready to take both of you guys on (on the track that is)! 

Signspotter#19

• Driver
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 09, 2007, 11:33:04 PM »
Bring it on!  I'm ready to take both of you guys on (on the track that is)! 

You can't handle us! :D

#1Jimmiefan

• Driver
    • View Profile
    • Myspace
« Reply #7 on: July 09, 2007, 11:34:07 PM »
You can't handle us! :D

Oh, how much fun it will be to beat Signholder's butt! lol

Signspotter#19

• Driver
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 09, 2007, 11:37:42 PM »

It is fun!!!!!!!!! :D

Quack

• Administrator
  • Driver
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 09, 2007, 11:38:22 PM »

I've yet to lose to him on the track.  He's a farmin' SOB though.   :D

#1Jimmiefan

• Driver
    • View Profile
    • Myspace
« Reply #10 on: July 09, 2007, 11:40:09 PM »
I've yet to lose to him on the track.  He's a farmin' SOB though.   :D

Well, ya know..I gotta talk all the smack I can because I am sure I will be eating my words 2 laps down! lol

Signspotter#19

• Driver
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 09, 2007, 11:41:45 PM »
Well, ya know..I gotta talk all the smack I can because I am sure I will be eating my words 2 laps down! lol

It can easily happen! It's fun to talk smak anyway. We will back it up.......I hope :-[

#1Jimmiefan

• Driver
    • View Profile
    • Myspace
« Reply #12 on: July 09, 2007, 11:43:03 PM »

It can easily happen! It's fun to talk smak anyway. We will back it up.......I hope :-[

Me too! I am getting all "twitterpated" just thinking about it!

HERM

• Driver
    • View Profile
Re: I'm a race car driver!
« Reply #13 on: July 10, 2007, 07:31:45 PM »
i know i will be that way with in the next few months.  i will definitely stop in and try my hand at it.  also, it is not whether you when or lose, it only counts if you spin out the dirty $%^&&# you are racing.  **innocence**

Quack

• Administrator
  • Driver
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: July 10, 2007, 08:30:50 PM »
it only counts if you spin out the dirty $%^&&# you are racing

Juan Pablo, we are glad you decided to become a NASCARDIAC.   ;D :D ;D

Scott

• Administrator
  • Driver
    • View Profile
    • ScottSpain.com
« Reply #15 on: July 12, 2007, 03:00:04 AM »
I heard a rumor that Signspotter#19 has already beat somebody we know at Lubbock's local go-cart track. I'm not going to name names (it was Quack), but I did hear a rumor.
- Scott Spain

Signspotter#19

• Driver
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: July 13, 2007, 03:26:16 PM »
I heard a rumor that Signspotter#19 has already beat somebody we know at Lubbock's local go-cart track. I'm not going to name names (it was Quack), but I did hear a rumor.

OooooWeeeee....It sure was fun. He (Quack) is not a bad racer either. Can't wait to (try) beat him again! ;D

Quack

• Administrator
  • Driver
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: July 13, 2007, 04:17:53 PM »

OooooWeeeee....It sure was fun. He (Quack) is not a bad racer either. Can't wait to (try) beat him again! ;D

Ummmmmmmmmmm.  What about the times that I won?  By multiple laps!?!?  Amazing how those race stories never get told.   ;D
« Last Edit: July 13, 2007, 06:51:45 PM by Quack »

Signspotter#19

• Driver
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: July 13, 2007, 06:14:59 PM »
Ummmmmmmmmmm.  What about the times that I won?  By multiple laps!?!?  Amazing how those race stories never get told.   ;D

Don't know what your talking about ??? ;D