Author Topic: Is it the driver or the car?  (Read 2723 times)

Signspotter#19

• Driver
    • View Profile
Is it the driver or the car?
« on: July 05, 2007, 12:55:35 PM »
I have been thinking about this a lot since Gordon and Johnson were penalized for working in the “gray areas” of the rules. The question that has been puzzling me is if the car were all same, like in the IROC, then would that not show who the truly great drivers really are? I understand that in the IROC the Cup drivers had the advantage over the other drivers due to the races all being run on the courses that were Cup tracks and the cars were very similar to the car they were used to running. But if the cars were in the Cup series with 43 drivers, would that not even it up so that it is the drivers who win races, not the cars. I have seen many races where it was the better car with a so-so driver that won a race. I understand that all drivers want to win but wouldn’t a win mean more if it was done because of their skills and not the fact that were able to do something to their car that gave them an advantage?

The COT car was designed by Nascar, from what I understand, to help reduce costs and to improve safety. If it all works out that way I am glad for it. The smaller teams such as Robby Gordon needs that kind of help to survive. I think that Robby has shown that he can be competitive as a single car team but in order to continue to be competitive the help in cost will be very beneficial.

Safety is always an issue that should be taken into consideration. If the COT car is an improvement in safety than that is a plus and needs no justification for its existence. There is no excuse for skimping on safety and endangering a driver.

Still the question of car adjustments is haunting me. I realize that some drivers prefer a loose car rather than a tight car. Biffle for example likes his car to be looser than what Mark Martin likes to drive. Those adjustments I can understand. I just don’t understand the need to cheat to win. If I were the driver and knew that my car had an unfair advantage and I won that race, it would not feel like a true win to me. I still don’t know if it would feel like a true win to me if my car had a fair advantage, either because no one else happen to think of doing it to their car or perhaps because they can’t afford to make that change to their car. It would still seem as if it were the car that won.

I guess what I am trying to figure out is, is it the car or the driver/team that wins the races? Nothing is meant in this article against the team itself. I know it is the brainpower and hard work from the crew that is really what causes a team to win or loose. If my car were equal with other drivers except for the usual adjustments such as tire pressure, chasie(not sure on spelling) adjustments, and things like that, then I would feel as if my win were a real win.

The thoughts expressed in this article are purely thoughts and not necessarily an opinion of the author. Please feel free to express your thoughts and opinions with the author in order for her to have an opinion and not just thoughts.
"Everyone's invited to the Barn for bologna burgers next Saturday night"

#1Jimmiefan

• Driver
    • View Profile
    • Myspace
Re: Is it the driver or the car?
« Reply #1 on: July 05, 2007, 08:27:21 PM »
Well, I see both arguments. I know every team wants to win and I think most would be willing to do what ever they can to get the win. Would knowing you had an advantage cheapen the win? I don't know...if it was an advantage that was not outside the "rules" (written or expressed).  I wish I could be more help, but I am torn on this issue myself.

Emogulf

• Gas Man
    • View Profile
    • My DeviantART
« Reply #2 on: July 07, 2007, 02:01:39 AM »
We were actually talking about this earlier, about NASCAR regulating so much. Apparently there was something about keeping all cars in a certain gear while qualifying. I think that the controversial car or driver issue was solved by putting in the Restrictor Plate races in the schedule.
<3 Zexion & #99

HERM

• Driver
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 07, 2007, 10:33:03 AM »
We were actually talking about this earlier, about NASCAR regulating so much. Apparently there was something about keeping all cars in a certain gear while qualifying. I think that the controversial car or driver issue was solved by putting in the Restrictor Plate races in the schedule.
what brought up this conversation with us, someone mentioned on tv that nascar was going to start using a gear rule at daytona.   my comment then was 'let's just do iroc'.  starting to get ill about all the regulating.

Signholder

• Administrator
  • Driver
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 07, 2007, 11:14:06 AM »
what brought up this conversation with us, someone mentioned on tv that nascar was going to start using a gear rule at daytona.   my comment then was 'let's just do iroc'.  starting to get ill about all the regulating.

I agree herm, but I guess thats what Nascar wants. IROC style racing with real pitstops, cars running in packs at more and more tracks and if someone does pull away from the pack, their cheating.:-\
I don't like it. I like teams it when teams work in the gray areas. I like to see a team in victory lane when everything they did that day worked. I like to see a team that was off "just that much" walk back to the hauler making notes for next years race.
I like racing, not over-regulated follow the leader. >:(
Heeeer's yur sign!!!

Signspotter#19

• Driver
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 07, 2007, 11:48:05 AM »
I agree herm, but I guess thats what Nascar wants. IROC style racing with real pitstops, cars running in packs at more and more tracks and if someone does pull away from the pack, their cheating.:-\
I don't like it. I like teams it when teams work in the gray areas. I like to see a team in victory lane when everything they did that day worked. I like to see a team that was off "just that much" walk back to the hauler making notes for next years race.
I like racing, not over-regulated follow the leader. >:(

So then what you are saying is that it is the car not the driver?

Signholder

• Administrator
  • Driver
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 07, 2007, 12:19:21 PM »
So then what you are saying is that it is the car not the driver?

No, I guess what I'm saying is that it's the team.
Neither the car or driver can win without the team behind them. You can have the best driver, a car with unapproved modifications and if a tire changer drops a lug nut on the final pit stop, 1st to 8th that easy.
I just want to see old school racing, to me it's more exciting.
Heeeer's yur sign!!!

Signspotter#19

• Driver
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 07, 2007, 08:08:42 PM »
to me , it is a given that it is a team effort. The question is if the cars are all built and adjusted according to the rules and not in the gray areas, than is it the driver or the cars that win. Kyle Petty addressed this question today and said that if the cars are all in accordance with the rules there is something that gives the driver an advantage. Its not the car, it is talent. Well put Kyle. I think the author is forming an opinion now. Its not quite complete though.