Author Topic: Who are you calling a redneck?  (Read 4013 times)

Signspotter#19

• Driver
    • View Profile
Who are you calling a redneck?
« on: June 17, 2007, 08:10:06 PM »
I remember when I first began watching Nascar. I frequently heard people refer to the fans as rednecks. I was confused as to why they were rednecks. I also heard jokes about rednecks and found that the general consensus was that it is just not good to be considered a redneck. I decided to look it up and see if maybe I am a redneck since I am a Nascar fan. This is the definition I found.

Red-neck  Often disparaging.
-Noun
1. An uneducated white farm laborer, esp. from the south.
2. A bigot or reactionary, esp. from rural working class
3. Also, red-necked. Narrow, prejudiced or reactionary: a redneck attitude.   

I decided to dissect this unflattering definition and see if it applies to me.

An uneducated white farm laborer, esp. from the south. Well lets see, I graduated high school and then went to nursing school and received my nursing license. I spent a lot of time on my grandfather’s farm growing up and learned a lot about farming and gardening. I was born, raised, and still live in the south. So except for the uneducated part, It does apply to me.

A bigot or reactionary, esp. from rural working class. Hummm…I had to look up reactionary to make sure what I thought it was is correct. I was wrong. The definition I found was that it is a conservative and one who does not like change. Well, I am conservative and I don’t like change. So, I guess that one applies.

Also, red-necked. Narrow, prejudiced or reactionary: a redneck attitude. I’m not prejudice. We have determined that I am a reactionary. So I guess I have only half of a redneck attitude.

It seems that except for the uneducated and prejudiced part, I am a redneck! I have decided now to think a little more about this before deciding for sure that this is the case. I began to think about other fans and if any of this applies to them. I think back to the crowds at the races that I have attended. It is hard to analyze the definitions and apply it to them because in essence, they are strangers and I know nothing about them. So I just thought about what I observed of the fans. Very nice, polite people who love Nascar. I found them to be very respectful of the fact that we all root for different drivers. I have a great time conversing with the different people I meet and find them quite informed and pleasant. I also thought about my new Nascardiac family. Very intelligent people with a great sense of humor and we all love the sport. We are a very diverse group of people who seem for the most part to get along great. So then I asked myself, If all these wonderful people are considered rednecks, then what is wrong with being a redneck? Nothing!

So it is my conclusion that I am a redneck and proud of it! To hell with the dictionary definition of redneck, in my dictionary it reads: redneck- wonderful people with a great sense of humor who love the sport of Nascar racing.
"Everyone's invited to the Barn for bologna burgers next Saturday night"

HERM

• Driver
    • View Profile
Re: Who are you calling a redneck?
« Reply #1 on: June 17, 2007, 08:19:31 PM »
redneck....a profound lack of sophistication.

sorry all, but you can find jokes and neg statemants about any class anywhere. 

take away the bigotry and racism which seem to be accused of all southerners, and us rednecks are ok.  rednecks are ok....bigots and racists are not...

like i always say, stop the hate.  ain't noone in this word i hate or dislike due to color, religion, culture, or any other flavor.   come to think of it, i hate noone. 

and on the redneck label...i cannot deny, i are one
« Last Edit: June 17, 2007, 08:28:00 PM by herm »

Signspotter#19

• Driver
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 17, 2007, 08:25:05 PM »
redneck....a profound lack of sophistication.

sorry all, but you can find jokes and neg statemants about any class anywhere. 

take away the bigotry and racism which seem to be accused of all southerners, and us rednecks are ok.  rednecks are ok....bigots and racists are not...

like i always say, stop the hate.  ain't noone in this word i hate or dislike due to color, religion, culture, or any other flavor.   come to think of it, i hate noone. 

Obviously could not have said it better myself!

#1Jimmiefan

• Driver
    • View Profile
    • Myspace
« Reply #3 on: June 17, 2007, 10:07:19 PM »
Other than that bigot/racist thing and education (I am currently in college going for my RN in Labor and Delivery) I am a total red neck and love it. I enjoy a good bbq with beer and friends and whatever sport happens to be on (obviously NASCAR is 1st in my book but it also applies to football, hockey - though I don't watch often, UFC, etc).

I just want to say that I love my big, extended red neck family here on Nascardiac!

Signspotter#19

• Driver
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 17, 2007, 10:13:28 PM »
I just want to say that I love my big, extended red neck family here on Nascardiac!

I second that whole heartedly! :-*

Texas16

• Driver
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 17, 2007, 11:46:02 PM »
I, too, proudly wear Signspotter#19's modified redneck label despite the fact that I defy neary every element of the traditional definition.  A few too many semesters in college (perennial student--after 25 years, I'm STILL in college!), political moderate, not really a southerner, and definitely not agrarian.  But if NASCAR fandom and all it implies--passion about a sport, peaceful coexistence and non-violent camaraderie with fans of rival drivers to my own favorite, membership in the most economically, regionally and gender diverse fan base--inevitably wear that redneck label, then sign me up.  Every race weekend, my co-workers (only one of them a racing fan) always tease me about my enjoyment of the sport and scoff at some of the more "out there" fans that we see during the weekend.  I always tell them, "Careful, those are My People you're talking about."
Bug-Eyed Dummy can drive.

caboolarue

« Reply #6 on: June 18, 2007, 01:05:27 AM »
Oh Heck ya, I am totaly a Redneck, Hillbilly at that. I did attend college long enough to party hard, and barely get a certificate in business to prove I went. But, I did go and completed a 2 year program in one year. Received a Associates in Business. Imagine that. I couldn't stand school, but I knew it was important enough to pay the bills when I got older.

CodeBlueEMT

« Reply #7 on: June 18, 2007, 10:28:19 AM »
 I prefer SOUTHERNESE instead of REDNECK, thank you. Now pass me the damn jelly and Grey Poupon.

Shayne

Nascar#3

• Driver
  • Driver in avatar is Andrew Ranger winning Montreal
    • View Profile
    • Nascar nut
« Reply #8 on: June 18, 2007, 10:32:05 AM »
I'm a French Canadian RedNeck and darn tootin' proud of it! Tabarnak ! LOL!
Peace: It's the short period of time between running out of amo and reloading.

caboolarue

« Reply #9 on: August 08, 2007, 08:25:14 PM »
I was reading on another thread about the past and it reminded me of my past, and my very redneck ways.  My siblings and I had a van and we allowed every one who wanted to put whatever graffiti on it that they wished.  This was some of the sayings:

You spent $20,000 for your van.  We spent $200 the other $18,000 went towards Budweiser.

If the van is a rockin don't bother knockin, just come on in.

Don't laugh your daughter may be in here.

Green Grass and High Tides Forever. ( with the pic of the ZigZag guy next to it)

We put a full size bed in the back and under it we placed two JVC house speakers.

We had a great time in this van and believe it or not with all this advertisement, we never got stopped by the cops.

CodeBlueEMT

« Reply #10 on: August 09, 2007, 12:04:59 PM »
 This was on our local news station website this morning.

Strange News
'Redneck Games' a Problem for Police

By MATT SLAGLE
Associated Press Writer

Posted: Aug. 8 8:39 p.m.
Updated: Today at 6:47 a.m.

DALLAS — More than a few athletes have been accused of doping over the years - but the competitors at the "Texas Redneck Games" might just be dopes.

These competitors forgo the shotput for the "Mattress Chuck" - in which two-man teams heave a mattress from the back of a pickup truck as far as they can. And if you aren't planning on heading to Beijing for the next Olympic Games, there's always the ugly "butt-crack contest."

By the time the latest Redneck Games ended Sunday, more than 54 arrests and citations had been issued on charges ranging from public intoxication to speeding, according to the Henderson County Sheriff's Department. Officials are considering charges against the organizer and landowners where the event was held.

"I'm an old fuddy duddy and all that, but you got a vehicle, you got alcohol, and you got illegal dumping, and you're making a contest out of that?" said Lt. Pat McWilliams, sheriff's spokesman. "We are very fortunate that we didn't have a fatality."

For years, Bobby Williams has awakened to the roaring engines of all-terrain vehicles, midnight fireworks shows and thousands of drunken revelers who every so often gather across the narrow county road from his property at events like the Redneck Games and the Texas Redneck Muddy Gras.

"We're just a nice, calm community, and nobody can get any rest; nobody can get any sleep," said the 76-year-old, who had hoped his 100-acre ranch would be a scene of post-retirement tranquillity.

Modeled after similar games that have been going in Georgia for more than a decade, the four-day Redneck Games took place about 70 miles southeast of Dallas and included an estimated 6,000 people and live music.

McWilliams said the organizer, Oscar Still, could face a misdemeanor charge for not having a permit, required for any gathering of more than 2,500 people. Telephone messages left with Still weren't returned Wednesday.

The misdemeanor charge carries a fine of $1,000 and 90 days in jail.

It was less clear whether there was any wrongdoing by Garland Pool, the owner of the 3,000-acre ATV park where the events were held, McWilliams said.

Pool, who lives about 5 miles from the ATV ranch, said he was aware of neighbor complaints but hadn't heard anything from the sheriff's department.

"Maybe the neighbors don't particularly like the traffic," he said, "but it seems like most of the businesses in town had a lot of success."

LOL...Here's a link

http://www.redneckoffroadparty.com/

Shayne

caboolarue

« Reply #11 on: August 09, 2007, 08:31:35 PM »
Dang it, why didn't I think of that.  :o

Signspotter#19

• Driver
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 19, 2007, 12:47:51 PM »
Last week Kenny Wallace on Victory Lane said that JPM should not drive the way he did because us "Rednecks" don't take too kindly to that. I thought that was hysterical.

D.matry

• Gas Man
  • [url=http://tierussianwoman.w-ru.com/]russian lady love[/url]
    • View Profile
    • russian girls for love
Who are you calling a redneck
« Reply #13 on: November 19, 2009, 04:33:47 PM »
Are you telling me I wasted all that money on roofies and GHB for nothing?

luviank09

• Gas Man
    • View Profile
    • ukrain girl
Who are you calling a redneck
« Reply #14 on: December 05, 2009, 10:13:36 PM »
Hi Guys,

Just to get things moving onwards and upwards   What do you think ??

Louise xx

oneshineylady

• Driver
    • View Profile
    • Msn Spaces(the blogs are funnier anyway)
« Reply #15 on: December 06, 2009, 09:27:25 PM »
I'm a French Canadian RedNeck and darn tootin' proud of it! Tabarnak ! LOL!

I may not be French Canadian but, I AM REDNECK CANADIAN!!!! Besides, when was it offensive?? I always wore my redneckness proudly!!!!!
Everyone has to believe in something....I believe I'll have another drink. GO KINKOS!