Author Topic: Lots & lots of Batteries  (Read 4243 times)

Texas16

• Driver
    • View Profile
Lots & lots of Batteries
« on: June 13, 2007, 10:00:46 PM »
Let’s all help Scott out with his packing list so he can attend his first NASCAR race in style.  If he’s like most of the typical guys I know, he could use a little help with packing even the barest essentials from the gentler sex.  And since I’ve never attended a race, y’all are going to have to help me with this.
-
First and foremost, have you got your race tickets?  Are they in a safe place where you won’t discover when you’re nearly to the track that you left them in the suitcase that’s back in your hotel room?  Have you got a wad of cash, a couple credit cards and a second mortgage?  You’re going to need them because there’s a gazillion people out there just dying to sell you a t-shirt, a program, or a hot dog and cold beer.  Do you have the list of people you’ve got to buy things for?  Significant other?  Kids?  Mom and Dad?  The boss?  Neighbors?  Those two are the primary essentials—you can’t watch the race without these. 

Let’s move on to the secondary essentials, those things that will make your race experience less painful after the race is over. 
•Sunscreen and a hat.  Sell your left…arm, but don’t forget those two items.
•Chap stick. 
•Comfortable shoes.  Don’t break in those new sandals this weekend.  Throw in a pair of flip-flops so that if it rains, you can at least change out of wet shoes. 
•Bandaids.  You can never go wrong with bandaids. 
•Aspirin. 
•Sunglasses. 
•Seat cushion.  Go to a track souvenir stand for a generic Infineon Raceway seat cushion if you still haven’t figured out which is your favorite driver or don’t want to look ridiculous carrying last year’s style of Jeff Gordon seat cushion. 
•A cooler with cold drinks including water.  Find a cooler that has wheels and a long handle.  You’ll be a lot happier at the end of the day.
•Put a wet washcloth in a zip-lock bag and keep it in the cooler.  It’s like bandaids:  you can never go wrong with a cool, wet washcloth.
•Plastic rain poncho, just in case
•A tube of benadryl cream
•Aloe vera gel with leidacane (can’t spell that) or some first aid cream because no matter how much sunscreen you use, you’re still going to get burned
•Mosquito repellant

The tertiary essentials—things that will make the race experience more pleasant—are:
•Binoculars
•Camera & a spare memory card if you’re snap happy
•AM/FM radio if you want to listen to the race on the radio
•Spare batteries
•Scanner
•Spare batteries
•That nifty little Nextel scanner doo-hickey
•Spare batteries
•Cell phone (it’s like your American Express;  don’t leave…)
•Program
•Earplugs (very optional)
•Jacket for cool mornings
•Batteries, lots and lots of batteries.  Every electrical outlet in your lodging will have things plugged in.  Charge your cell phone before you go.  Charge your rechargeable batteries before you go.  Recharge your extra batteries.
•Snacks
•Sharpies, black or silver depending on what you’d like autographed
•Something to autograph

The safety conscious person in me also asks if you have a card in your wallet listing allergies, medications and an emergency contact of someone not attending the race with you.

I’m one of those people that tries to foresee every possible scenario and have in my purse whatever I’m going to need.  Maybe that explains the monster bag I sometimes find myself carrying around.  But I’m sure that since I’ve never been to a race, I’ve left something important off the list.  Please add your thoughts as to what you think Scott might need to make his visit to Infineon the best that it can be.
Bug-Eyed Dummy can drive.

#1Jimmiefan

• Driver
    • View Profile
    • Myspace
Re: Lots & lots of Batteries
« Reply #1 on: June 13, 2007, 10:33:47 PM »
I think you about covered it all! =) I would make sure you also have your health insurance card (just in case).

I can't stress the comfortable shoes (lots and lots of walking going to happen) and sunscreen enough. Make sure you re-apply the sunscreen every few hours. I almost never burn but it's guaranteed on race weekend if I don't apply that stuff like it's going out of style. Unless you are very cautious of your surroundings, I probably wouldn't bring credit cards, you just never know. I do recommend a sufficient cash flow - you don't want to pull out a handful of bills and risk dropping some and losing it.

Most of all, enjoy yourself. The races are a great time for all! Oh, and if you see some jacka$$ throwing cans, smack them for me!

caboolarue

« Reply #2 on: June 14, 2007, 01:37:38 AM »
It will get hotter then Heck so make sure you take somekind of small towel (handtowel sized,) you can wet it down and wrap it around your neck. Make sure your sunscreen is waterproof and at least SPF 45 or 30.  The higher the SPF the less you will have to reapply.  there is a spray on you can use now works great.  Beer is always essential at races but remember the heat causes dehydration, don't forget to drink water.  You don't want to pass out.
"Sorry these things bring out the MOM in me" ;)

CodeBlueEMT

« Reply #3 on: June 14, 2007, 10:12:14 AM »
 A large cooler full of cold beer will surfice.

Shayne

#1Jimmiefan

• Driver
    • View Profile
    • Myspace
« Reply #4 on: June 14, 2007, 09:19:08 PM »

Shayne

You just have to make sure the track allows you to bring your own beer in. Texas is great, we take a decent sized cooler full of beer (of course, the cooler has wheels and a long handle) and it usually lasts 3 of us the whole race.

Signholder

• Administrator
  • Driver
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 14, 2007, 10:10:00 PM »
I wear a golfers hat with a brim all the way around. I find a baseball style hat leaves the ears out to be toasted.
And yes, I am wishing for full hot sun no clouds for your first race. ;D
Heeeer's yur sign!!!

1_Newman_Fan

• Driver
  • Poor Boy Racing class 7sx
    • View Profile
    • Bazi
« Reply #6 on: June 16, 2007, 09:38:50 PM »
Do i want to know what that is for???....lol....

Texas16

• Driver
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 17, 2007, 01:34:02 AM »
Do i want to know what that is for???....lol....

Critter bites.
Bug-Eyed Dummy can drive.

1_Newman_Fan

• Driver
    • View Profile
    • Bazi
« Reply #8 on: June 17, 2007, 01:38:52 AM »
ooo ok we dont have that problem here its to damn hot... well i did get rained on at vegas but no bugs ill have to rember that for when we move to M.O.

1_Newman_Fan

• Driver
    • View Profile
    • Bazi
« Reply #9 on: June 17, 2007, 01:45:11 AM »
ok i had to read it one more time my friends gave me hell for taking a box of batteries with us and we used every one we got a lill snapy happy...lol
« Last Edit: June 24, 2007, 02:20:42 PM by CHRIS »

johnnybravo40

• Tire Changer
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 24, 2007, 01:16:24 PM »
I wear a golfers hat with a brim all the way around. I find a baseball style hat leaves the ears out to be toasted.
And yes, I am wishing for full hot sun no clouds for your first race. ;D

Would that be a Resort #2? Why cover up that beautiful flattop of yours?

Signholder

• Administrator
  • Driver
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 24, 2007, 01:25:18 PM »
Would that be a Resort #2? Why cover up that beautiful flattop of yours?

I'm blushing :-[
Heeeer's yur sign!!!

#1Jimmiefan

• Driver
    • View Profile
    • Myspace
« Reply #12 on: June 24, 2007, 02:22:43 PM »
ooo ok we dont have that problem here its to damn hot... well i did get rained on at vegas but no bugs ill have to rember that for when we move to M.O.

You will most def. want benadryl cream for the critters in MO.

caboolarue

« Reply #13 on: June 24, 2007, 06:55:06 PM »
You will most def. want benadryl cream for the critters in MO.
benadryl, caladryl, every dryl there is, skin so soft, alovera, squito repelents of all types etc. etc. etc........well you get the point!

Emogulf

• Gas Man
    • View Profile
    • My DeviantART
« Reply #14 on: July 07, 2007, 02:08:43 AM »

Shayne
And ear-plugs. Especially if it's your first race, or if your wife/girl/kids/parents (especially mother) is with you. Oh, and the trackpass-thingy is pretty nifty, too. I'd just rent one, though, if I was you. It helps you to better hear the commentaries... and the in-car radio is pretty cool, too.
<3 Zexion & #99

HERM

• Driver
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: July 07, 2007, 10:31:12 AM »
And ear-plugs. Especially if it's your first race, or if your wife/girl/kids/parents (especially mother) is with you. Oh, and the trackpass-thingy is pretty nifty, too. I'd just rent one, though, if I was you. It helps you to better hear the commentaries... and the in-car radio is pretty cool, too.

just a lil comment here, but if you do not have something nice to say, say nothing at all.  hint, hint

Emogulf

• Gas Man
    • View Profile
    • My DeviantART
« Reply #16 on: July 07, 2007, 03:22:59 PM »
just a lil comment here, but if you do not have something nice to say, say nothing at all.  hint, hint
What? I didn't say anything mean >:(

::) Sarcasm on the family joke :-*
<3 Zexion & #99