Author Topic: Coke 600  (Read 3238 times)

Quack

• Administrator
  • Driver
    • View Profile
Coke 600
« on: May 27, 2007, 04:39:41 PM »
First and foremost, I want to say a huge "Thank you!" to all of the men and women who have served in our Armed Forces for allowing us the freedom of being able to enjoy a weekend of racing, not to mention all of the freedoms that we enjoy year-round.  If you're a member of the Armed Forces, this weekend is all about honoring you!

It's time for the Coca-Cola 600, the longest race of the year.  It's generally an excellent race, due at least in part to the fact that the guys are relaxed and fired up after two consecutive weeks at home.  Even the pit crews seem to be rejuvenated and perform at a higher level. And let's be honest, what fan isn't happy about watching an extra hundred miles of racing?  (Actually, we get an extra 600 miles when you count the Indy 500.)

The only downside with the extra 100 miles is that it places a ton of stress on the engines and transmissions that they obviously are not used to.  Over the years we've seen -a lot- of cars blow an engine or drop a couple of gears during the final 100 miles.  Teams have to make sure they've got the ponies to run up front, but the durability to be around at the end.  It's often a *really* fine line that they have to balance on.

Who To Watch
Who? #70, Johnny "That Damn" Sauter
Why? After building himself a reputation of being the guy to stay away from on the track unless you wanted to be wrecked, Johnny is actually racing pretty clean so far this year.  Now, maybe that's just an illusion, seeing as Juan Pablo Montoya is wrecking everyone each week, but Sauter's finishes seem to provide proof that he's making significant improvements in his decision making.  He almost won the Open last weekend.  During the Challenge, he drove from next-to-last starting position and finished a very respectable 6th.

Who? #43, Bobby Labonte
Why? Once upon a time, Bobby was a sure bet for a Top 5 at Charlotte.  A few years ago, after losing by inches at the line to Jimmie Johnson, he was so angry that he kicked the side of his car in when he got out after the race.  It was a rare display of emotion from Bobby.  He's been running decently so far this year, but has had his share of bad luck.  I think he'll keep the gremlins away this weekend, and turn his 9th place start into a Top 10 finish.

Who? #83, Brian Vickers
Why? Brian has been kind of a hit-or-miss guy at Charlotte.  He has 3 Top 15 finishes at Lowe's Motor Speedway, including a 10th on his last trip to the track.  He still owns Toyota's only Top 10 finishes in the Cup series.  He just might log yet another Top 10 this weekend.

Who? Hendrick Motorsports
Why? Let's face it, they've dominated the Nextel Cup series through the first 11 races, winning eight times.  The #5, #24, and #48 (Kyle Busch, Jeff Gordon, Jimmie Johnson, respectively) have been a threat to win virtually every week.  The #25 of Casey Mears has run well several times, but has had a bit of bad luck.  Any one of these four guys can win the Coca-Cola 600, and I wouldn't be the least bit surprised to see one of them in victory lane this weekend.

Who's Going to Win
After a rough day at Indianapolis for Penske Racing, Kurt Busch will help ease the pain by putting the Blue Duece back into victory lane, making it happen for Roger Penske two weeks in a row at Charlotte.  Kurt has been running very well of late, finishing in the Top 5 in two of the last three races.  He'd have even better finishes if his team can figure out how to get better fuel mileage.  Fuel mileage or not, this week is his week to lead them to the checkers.

Happy racing.
« Last Edit: May 27, 2007, 04:53:26 PM by Quack »

HERM

• Driver
    • View Profile
Re: Coke 600
« Reply #1 on: May 27, 2007, 04:43:30 PM »
thank you

canuck speed freak

• Driver
  • G Stars Rule!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 27, 2007, 04:47:06 PM »
Cant argue any of that. thanx
You must first finish, to finish First. mfdiana.com
www.parksvillegenerals.org  VP and scorekeeper
www.focusfanatics.com proud member

Signholder

• Administrator
  • Driver
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 27, 2007, 04:52:34 PM »
First and foremost, I want to say a huge "Thank you!" to all of the men and women who have served in our Armed Forces for allowing us the freedom of being able to enjoy a weekend of racing, not to mention all of the freedoms that we enjoy year-round.  If you're a member of the Armed Forces, this weekend is all about honoring you!

Excellent view this week Quack.
But like you stated, without those men and women in uniform, our sport would not exist.

Who To Watch
Why? After building himself a reputation of being the guy to stay away from on the track unless you wanted to be wrecked, Johnny is actually racing pretty clean so far this year.  Now, maybe that's just an illusion, seeing as Juan Pablo Montoya is wrecking everyone each week, but Sauter's finishes seem to provide proof that he's making significant improvements in his decision making.  He almost won the Open last weekend.  During the Challenge, he drove from next-to-last starting position and finished a very respectable 6th.

As for this part, thanks alot... I'm going to have to medicate the wife over this. You know how she is on the topic of this driver. :o
Heeeer's yur sign!!!

HERM

• Driver
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 27, 2007, 05:03:02 PM »
Excellent view this week Quack.
But like you stated, without those men and women in uniform, our sport would not exist.

As for this part, thanks alot... I'm going to have to medicate the wife over this. You know how she is on the topic of this driver. :o
just my opinion, but with quack picking sauter, i feel enough medicating has already gone on. 

Signspotter#19

• Authors
  • Driver
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 27, 2007, 06:32:42 PM »
.Who To Watch

>:(Now who's using the bong? ;D You just wait, you will have the same opinion of him as I do when causes Gordon to loose a race! I noticed you gave him the name I anointed him with. :-\

"Everyone's invited to the Barn for bologna burgers next Saturday night"

Quack

• Administrator
  • Driver
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 27, 2007, 06:40:21 PM »
>:(Now who's using the bong? ;D You just wait, you will have the same opinion of him as I do when causes Gordon to loose a race! I noticed you gave him the name I anointed him with. :-\

For whatever it's worth, I can't stand the SOB and I did *not* pick him to win.  But you have to be either naive or blind to not respect what he's done on the track so far this year.

Signspotter#19

• Authors
  • Driver
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 27, 2007, 06:54:34 PM »
For whatever it's worth, I can't stand the SOB and I did *not* pick him to win.  But you have to be either naive or blind to not respect what he's done on the track so far this year.

Must be both, I have no respect for him ???
"Everyone's invited to the Barn for bologna burgers next Saturday night"

caboolarue

« Reply #8 on: May 27, 2007, 08:35:28 PM »
Must be both, I have no respect for him ???
WOW, I am surprised the reaction J.S. has been getting on Nascardiac.  I don't know much about JS but you bet I'll be lookin into it.

Signholder

• Administrator
  • Driver
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 27, 2007, 08:48:54 PM »
WOW, I am surprised the reaction J.S. has been getting on Nascardiac.  I don't know much about JS but you bet I'll be lookin into it.

For the record, I don't have anything against Johnny Sauter.
[ Whack!!!] :'(
I didn't realize Signspotter#19 was looking over my shoulder.
« Last Edit: May 28, 2007, 10:15:12 PM by Signholder »
Heeeer's yur sign!!!

Quack

• Administrator
  • Driver
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 28, 2007, 02:17:30 PM »
Who To Watch

So much for that one.  He was never competitive and finished twenty-seventh, 24 laps down.

Who To Watch
Who? #43, Bobby Labonte
Why? Once upon a time, Bobby was a sure bet for a Top 5 at Charlotte.  A few years ago, after losing by inches at the line to Jimmie Johnson, he was so angry that he kicked the side of his car in when he got out after the race.  It was a rare display of emotion from Bobby.  He's been running decently so far this year, but has had his share of bad luck.  I think he'll keep the gremlins away this weekend, and turn his 9th place start into a Top 10 finish.

I meant #45, Kyle Petty!  Heh.  Not really, but Bobby did bring it home in 13th, the first car 1 lap down.

Who To Watch
Who? #83, Brian Vickers
Why? Brian has been kind of a hit-or-miss guy at Charlotte.  He has 3 Top 15 finishes at Lowe's Motor Speedway, including a 10th on his last trip to the track.  He still owns Toyota's only Top 10 finishes in the Cup series.  He just might log yet another Top 10 this weekend.

Told ya.  In my opinion, the guy is the best thing Toyota has going for themselves in the Cup series, and he proved it yet again on Sunday.

Who To Watch
Who? Hendrick Motorsports
Why? Let's face it, they've dominated the Nextel Cup series through the first 11 races, winning eight times.  The #5, #24, and #48 (Kyle Busch, Jeff Gordon, Jimmie Johnson, respectively) have been a threat to win virtually every week.  The #25 of Casey Mears has run well several times, but has had a bit of bad luck.  Any one of these four guys can win the Coca-Cola 600, and I wouldn't be the least bit surprised to see one of them in victory lane this weekend.

Congratulations Casey.

Who's Going to Win
After a rough day at Indianapolis for Penske Racing, Kurt Busch will help ease the pain by putting the Blue Duece back into victory lane, making it happen for Roger Penske two weeks in a row at Charlotte.  Kurt has been running very well of late, finishing in the Top 5 in two of the last three races.  He'd have even better finishes if his team can figure out how to get better fuel mileage.  Fuel mileage or not, this week is his week to lead them to the checkers.

Well, Kurt made me look really smart for about 100 laps or so, and then he just had to wreck out.

After a wild and wacky race, my fantasy points are *really* screwed up.   ;D
« Last Edit: May 28, 2007, 02:22:30 PM by Quack »

canuck speed freak

• Driver
  • G Stars Rule!
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 29, 2007, 02:03:12 AM »
After the fantastic finish, most fantasy points are screwed up Quack.
You must first finish, to finish First. mfdiana.com
www.parksvillegenerals.org  VP and scorekeeper
www.focusfanatics.com proud member