Author Topic: I've Never Been to a Race  (Read 6212 times)

Scott

• Administrator
  • Driver
    • View Profile
    • ScottSpain.com
I've Never Been to a Race
« on: May 25, 2007, 03:08:33 AM »
Yes, it's true. I'm half owner of a fantastic NASCAR site, that will soon take over the world, yet I've never been to a race.

Actually, I take that back. I've never been to a NASCAR race. I've been to one stock car race. It was a local track (Lakeside) in Denver about 20 years ago. Other than that, I have never been to a race track.

On second (third?) thought, I guess I have. I've been to hundreds of races, if you count drag racing. My grandfather was a race car driver, and I was his pit crew. More on that another time. Growing up, every Saturday was race day.

Truth be told, I really don't know anything about the sport of stock car racing. I haven't even watched a full season on TV yet. When ya'll talk about some of the tracks that NASCAR goes to, I don't even know if they're ovals or road coarses. I hope that's been understood among our member since day one. I haven't tried to mislead anyone. If I accidentally lead you to believe I was an expert, I apologize.

So what's a complete noob like me doing helping run a NASCAR site? Simple. I'm absolutely nuts about racing! I didn't (help) create this site to come across as some kind of authority on racing. I did it because I love the sport, and wanted to learn more about it.

It goes beyond learning. I also want to teach. Obviously I'm not going to teach anybody here about racing. Every single member of this site knows more than I do about racing. So what can I possibly teach you?

Everybody knows that NASCAR is a rapidly-growing sport. That means that I'm not the only noob fan around. The purpose of this column is to allow you inside the mind of one of these noob fans, so you can see things from their perspective. That's really my sole purpose in writing that column. To give someone who's neck-deep in racing a fresh perspective. If I can make one person think "Wow, I've never questioned such-and-such before. It's always been that way, so I never really thought about it", I've done my job... Even if you don't agree with my stance on the issue.

I don't mind being criticized for my lack of racing knowledge. I readily admit I don't have it, so I expect some degree of criticism. I find it odd that some people seem to have certain criteria for what makes one a "real" fan. I'm a huge (mixed martial arts) fight fan. On the fight forum I participate on, people don't respect you as a fan if you don't actually train to fight. Some will even dog you if you're not a professional fighter. Can you imagine that? Imagine Michael Jordan telling the fans to go away because they're not in the NBA. Obviously, since the fans made his mortgage payment for years, he would never do such a thing.

So I understand if I don't fit in with everybody 100%. If you want to hold that against me, that's fine. If you'd rather take me under your wing and teach me a thing or two, that would be much appreciated.

I don't know if this redeems me or not, but I will officially lose my race attendee virginity on June 24th, when I attend the Toyota/SaveMart 350 at Infineon Raceway in Sonoma, CA.  If any of you will be there, hit me up. I'm ready to meet me some NASCARDIAC'ers!
« Last Edit: May 25, 2007, 03:13:08 AM by Scott Spain »
- Scott Spain

HERM

• Driver
    • View Profile
Re: I've Never Been to a Race
« Reply #1 on: May 25, 2007, 10:47:22 AM »
good article.  but as a hole, nascar fans are not like that.  i feel we welcome the noobs into the fold.  in my opinion, the more fans, the more aggrevation that can be generated over who their favorite driver is.  (note...i got my jpm #42 shirt yesterday)  any and all questions will be answered with maybe a lil bit of ribbing going along and all in good humor. (i also point back to "as a hole, nascar fans are not like that."  this is a disclaimer) 

#1Jimmiefan

• Driver
    • View Profile
    • Myspace
« Reply #2 on: May 26, 2007, 12:07:10 AM »
Scott, you may be a noob but I am sure you could teach me a thing or two. I still consider myself to be pretty much a noob. I've watched for years but only became a fan in the last few years. There is so much to learn and things change rapidly. It seems just as I start to grasp something, it changes.  I say to all noobs and vets, can't we all just get along??? ::)

canuck speed freak

• Driver
  • G Stars Rule!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 26, 2007, 12:58:59 AM »
Scott, you may be a noob but I am sure you could teach me a thing or two. I still consider myself to be pretty much a noob. I've watched for years but only became a fan in the last few years. There is so much to learn and things change rapidly. It seems just as I start to grasp something, it changes.  I say to all noobs and vets, can't we all just get along??? ::)
I enjoy encouraging all new fans and continue to entice friends to the racing family. That is my first reason for being a junkie of racing. The strong family aspect of the sport.
You must first finish, to finish First. mfdiana.com
www.parksvillegenerals.org  VP and scorekeeper
www.focusfanatics.com proud member

#1Jimmiefan

• Driver
    • View Profile
    • Myspace
« Reply #4 on: May 26, 2007, 01:10:21 AM »
I enjoy encouraging all new fans and continue to entice friends to the racing family. That is my first reason for being a junkie of racing. The strong family aspect of the sport.

Me too, I got one friend joined up and am working on another but she's having problems registering tonight.

Signholder

• Administrator
  • Driver
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 26, 2007, 10:20:09 AM »
To me, continuing to learn about the sport, that's what keeps me interested. If I felt like I knew it all, I think I would get so bored I would have to move on to something else to hold my attention. 9yr. fan, I've been to 3 races with the help of a great friend. Without her, I would have been to 0 races.
I'm here to learn and make new Nascar friends. Having never participated in a forum before, this one seems fun. Before this site I had roughly 6 or 7 people to talk Nascar with, now potentially 300+ all over North America. That's very cool. 8)
Thanks everybody, for helping me learn and enjoy the sport on a new level. ;)
Heeeer's yur sign!!!

#1Jimmiefan

• Driver
    • View Profile
    • Myspace
« Reply #6 on: May 26, 2007, 12:15:59 PM »
To me, continuing to learn about the sport, that's what keeps me interested. If I felt like I knew it all, I think I would get so bored I would have to move on to something else to hold my attention. 9yr. fan, I've been to 3 races with the help of a great friend. Without her, I would have been to 0 races.
I'm here to learn and make new Nascar friends. Having never participated in a forum before, this one seems fun. Before this site I had roughly 6 or 7 people to talk Nascar with, now potentially 300+ all over North America. That's very cool. 8)
Thanks everybody, for helping me learn and enjoy the sport on a new level. ;)

Ditto!

HERM

• Driver
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 26, 2007, 02:14:49 PM »
the pull of NASCAR to me is all the people to aggrevate on race day.  love ya, #1Jimmiefan

Signholder

• Administrator
  • Driver
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 26, 2007, 02:21:52 PM »
the pull of NASCAR to me is all the people to aggrevate on race day.  love ya, #1Jimmiefan

herm,
if your ever around Signspotter#19 on race day,
I would suggest full baseball players catchers pads, but from experience, you will still feel the sting, so maybe hockey goalie pads  :D
Heeeer's yur sign!!!

HERM

• Driver
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 26, 2007, 02:44:18 PM »
herm,
if your ever around Signspotter#19 on race day,
I would suggest full baseball players catchers pads, but from experience, you will still feel the sting, so maybe hockey goalie pads  :D
imo...i run faster scared than most people do when mad.

#1Jimmiefan

• Driver
    • View Profile
    • Myspace
« Reply #10 on: May 27, 2007, 03:03:08 AM »

Love ya too Hern! Sorry I wasn't here to heckle earlier!!! The aggravation of heckling is just another aspect that makes it great (When it's done in FUN).

HERM

• Driver
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 27, 2007, 04:05:32 PM »
Love ya too Hern! Sorry I wasn't here to heckle earlier!!! The aggravation of heckling is just another aspect that makes it great (When it's done in FUN).
i do not know how to do it any other way.

CodeBlueEMT

« Reply #12 on: May 30, 2007, 11:26:11 AM »
 Scott, I suggest renting a Nextel FanView at Sonoma. You'll be able to keep up with the race much better. A scanner is okay, at least you can listen to the broadcast. I used the FanView last year at Richmond. We used a 3-way splitter for our headsets. Everyone around us was leaning in to check it out.
If I attended more races, I buy one myself.

Shayne

Quack

• Administrator
  • Driver
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 30, 2007, 11:56:55 AM »
I'll second the FanView recommendation.  I've used it at every race I've been to since they came out, and it is awesome.

CodeBlueEMT

« Reply #14 on: May 30, 2007, 01:09:35 PM »
 And it's " Quack Approved " too.

Shayne

Quack

• Administrator
  • Driver
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: May 30, 2007, 02:29:02 PM »
And it's " Quack Approved " too.

Shayne

LMAO.  Yeah, because that is *the* standard to go by!   :D

smoke14fan

• Driver
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: May 30, 2007, 03:37:19 PM »
Dude, go to 'dega at least once.  That where I became a NASCAR fanatic.  There's nothing equal to being there for all the passion and excitment. 

My next race will be Bristol and then the Brickyard.   I hope!!!!
"Political Correctness: A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority, rabidly promoted by the mainstream media, which promotes the premise that it is entirely possible to pick up a piece of excrement by its clean end." (Ano

wendyrlfg

• Jackman
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: May 31, 2007, 10:17:28 PM »
Hey Scott - My Mom's at Dover this weekend her first race & I forgot to send her with yellow tape - a rookie stripe for her back & I can't go - if you ever need tix say something

Racing Rocks

• Driver
  • Rail Roads Move America
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: July 10, 2007, 03:27:12 PM »
Wow at 45 I feel old.....I have watched stock car racing since I was real little..And even when racing was not shown a whole lot on TV we watched what ever they did show. And when cable started showing full races I was in my glory

Now I get to show my kids and wife a lot of things that go on.. And this sport has changed in so many ways we all will learn something new week in and week out

oneshineylady

• Driver
    • View Profile
    • Msn Spaces(the blogs are funnier anyway)
« Reply #19 on: August 23, 2007, 12:57:32 AM »
I have yet to attend one either...almost made it to Watkins on a spur of the moment decision but then realized...I NEED ID to cross the border...then the boys went to Michigan last weekend leavin me here cryin...unfortunately they missed the cup race due to the weather.
Anyways, I'm tryin my damndest to make it to Homestead this yr. Nothin better than makin the last race of the yr the first one attended. Anyone else attending, let me know! Maybe I'll see ya there!
Everyone has to believe in something....I believe I'll have another drink. GO KINKOS!