Author Topic: Fantasy Racers Anonymous  (Read 2530 times)

Signspotter#19

• Driver
    • View Profile
Fantasy Racers Anonymous
« on: May 20, 2007, 10:00:06 PM »
Hello, My name is Signspotter#19 and Iím a fantasy-racing addict. This is my pathetic story.

It all began in Feb. 2005. My sister entered a fantasy racing pool at her job. She knows nothing about NASCAR so she asked if I would help her pick the top 5 each week and split any winnings. I took this matter very seriously because I didnít want to let her down. Each week I studied the tracks and the record of each driver on that track. I made my picks; usually I had more than 5. I took this dilemma to my sister and explained why I picked each driver and let her narrow it down. We started off great. As we moved about one quarter of the way through the season, I began to let personal feelings get in the way of some of my picks. Of course, I did not realize this at the time. At the end of the season, we finished about 7th in the pool out of 23. Not bad for a rookie, I thought.

The 2006 season was beginning and my sister decided not to enter that year. I decided to do it on my own. That way, if I did badly, I would not feel as if I let her down. Signholder and TMS#16 decided to play also. It started out great for TMS#16 and me but not for Signholder. He likes to pick long shots, not anyone obvious. He plays purely for fun and does not have a competitive nature.   As this season drove on, I found myself watching the races in a whole new way. I did not like this new way of racing. I had to root for drivers I did not like and I sure did not want them to win. I again found myself refusing to pick some drivers simply because I did not want to believe they would have a top 5 finish much less win. Inevitably, they would win and I was screwed because most everyone else would pick them. I hovered in the middle of the pool, Signholder was dead last, and TMS#16 was bouncing around in the top 5. I felt the competitive child in me stirring. I decided to start picking some of those drivers so that maybe I would catch up. Notice I said SOME of those drivers. I still could not bring myself to pick them all. The nauseous feeling each race of having to root for those drivers and hope the drivers I like, that I did not pick, would not get a top 5 finish but still finish well. This is wrong! Itís painful and sickening to have to watch a race that way. Yet, I continued. Now keep in mind, when I finally realized that Sadler would not get a top 5 in particular races I would still root for my Sadler boy to win. I must confess though no one else picked him either. If they had, I am afraid to think what I would have wanted him to do. What a bad, bad fan I would be if I did not root for my man! I hoped that test would never come. At the end of this season, TMS#16 was 3rd in standings, I was in the middle, and Signholder was in last. I swore I would not play again the next year. I just could not take it anymore.

Now it is 2007 and I am again playing this year! I have learned nothing. I am still pathetically choosing each week. Rooting for drivers I do not like, especially if the people ahead of me in points did not pick those drivers. My sweet Sadler boy is not doing well and my competitive nature will not allow me to show my support by picking him. The moment of truth came at the Bristol race. Someone instead of me picked my Sadler boy. I could not decide how to root for my man. It was then that I knew I had hit rock bottom! I cannot stop. My son asked me the other day if I needed a NASCAR intervention. The fantasy racing addiction is worse now because I am doing better in the point standings this year compared to the previous years.

I yearn for the days that I can sit down and watch a race, rooting only for drivers I like. When a driver I donít like is out of the race, I can be happy with no picks to take into consideration, no dilemmas, no Maalox, no ulcers. I experienced this briefly during the All-Star Open. It was great to just root for my driver and those I liked. No picks to consider, and no pressure of the points in the pool. How fantastic and free I felt! Now when Sadler starts running good again, I am sure the Maalox, ulcers, and probably alcohol will come back into play. That will be welcome if he is doing well. Dang I hope it happens soon.

That is my story. I hope to hear from other fantasy racing addicts. Maybe we can help each other or maybe we can just be addicts together. Who knows? Either way I look forward to hearing from you!
"Everyone's invited to the Barn for bologna burgers next Saturday night"

canuck speed freak

• Driver
  • G Stars Rule!
    • View Profile
Re: Fantasy Racers Anonymous
« Reply #1 on: May 20, 2007, 10:20:22 PM »
Reformed addict here. 2007 is my first fantasy free season for 15 years. The way you watch a race is so better now!
You must first finish, to finish First. mfdiana.com
www.parksvillegenerals.org  VP and scorekeeper
www.focusfanatics.com proud member

Signspotter#19

• Driver
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 20, 2007, 10:30:00 PM »
Thank heaven there's hope for me yet!
"Everyone's invited to the Barn for bologna burgers next Saturday night"

#1Jimmiefan

• Driver
    • View Profile
    • Myspace
« Reply #3 on: May 21, 2007, 12:19:14 AM »
I got addicted last year and it's worse this year because I am top in the points in my league. I feel your pain, it sucks having to pick driver's you would prefer to pull against. :-X

Signholder

• Administrator
  • Driver
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 21, 2007, 05:16:59 PM »
Signholder and TMS#16 decided to play also. It started out great for TMS#16 and me but not for Signholder. He likes to pick long shots, not anyone obvious. He plays purely for fun and does not have a competitive nature.   

Somebody needs to pull for the longshots. They make the races interesting for me. Life is to short to let this fantasy racing league thing drive me nuts. Besides, it's my other fantasies I let drive me nuts. ;D
Heeeer's yur sign!!!

CodeBlueEMT

« Reply #5 on: May 22, 2007, 10:40:36 AM »
 Fantasy racing has helped me appreciate more drivers than before. Of course I like it when my picks run well. I don't pick Jr. every week, even though he's my favorite driver. I'd rather watch a good race, no matter who I picked. Makes you watch the leaderboard, then get pissed when they cut to an interview or a commercial, before the entire field has scrolled across the screen. For me, it makes my race day more exciting. I used to bet money on races every week.  That took some fun out of watching and made me "hate" certain drivers.

Shayne
« Last Edit: May 22, 2007, 10:43:40 AM by CodeBlueEMT »