Author Topic: The Winston  (Read 8957 times)

Quack

• Administrator
  • Driver
    • View Profile
The Winston
« on: May 18, 2007, 12:15:31 PM »
Okay, so they don't call it The Winston anymore, but I have a real difficult time calling it "The Nextel All-Star Challenge".  As a result, I still think of it as The Winston.

Usually before the race I try to wax philosophical and offer up an article on who to watch and who is going to win.  In writing these articles, I try and spread the wealth around a little bit and point out some guys that are looking to score some good finishes, and that I believe have a legitimate opportunity to do so for that particular race.  However, since this is a non-points race weekend, there'll be none of that, because with one million dollars (said in my best Austin Powers voice) on the line, who really gives a crap about 2nd place?  Let alone a Top 10 or Top 15.  Get the check or go to the house.

Who's Going To Win
#24, Jeff Gordon.  This is his year.  He's a 3-time winner in the All-Star race: 1995, 1997, and 2001.  In each of those seasons he went on to win the Cup Championship.  2007 will have the same result.

There's a fire in Jeff's eye that is unmistakable, and it hasn't been there in many years.  When you combine all of the personal strife that he went through with the desire to build the #48 into a Championship team, the Jeff Gordon that showed up at the track each week from 2002-2006 simply wasn't the Championship Jeff Gordon.  However, now that he has his personal life in order again, and the #48 is the defending Champion, it seems that the fire has been ignited again, and he appears to be hell-bent on showing the world that he's not done yet.  Nine Top 5s, and Ten Top 10 finishes in eleven races, and his only finish outside of the Top 10 was an "abysmal" twelfth.  Simply amazing.

My apologies to those who are hoping to see someone other than Hendrick win this weekend.  You might as well wait a couple of weeks more to turn on the TV.

Happy racing.

sdmpoe

• Gas Man
    • View Profile
Re: The Winston
« Reply #1 on: May 18, 2007, 12:30:52 PM »
I naturally hope that Johnson takes the title again this year! 

I do see a new look about Gordon this year!  I think it is the new wife and baby.  Being happy in your personal life tends to give a balance.

Missie

HERM

• Driver
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 18, 2007, 12:56:40 PM »

Who's Going To Win
#24, Jeff Gordon.  This is his year.  He's a 3-time winner in the All-Star race: 1995, 1997, and 2001.  In each of those seasons he went on to win the Cup Championship.  2007 will have the same result.

There's a fire in Jeff's eye that is unmistakable, and it hasn't been there in many years.  When you combine all of the personal strife that he went through with the desire to build the #48 into a Championship team, the Jeff Gordon that showed up at the track each week from 2002-2006 simply wasn't the Championship Jeff Gordon.  However, now that he has his personal life in order again, and the #48 is the defending Champion, it seems that the fire has been ignited again, and he appears to be hell-bent on showing the world that he's not done yet.  Nine Top 5s, and Ten Top 10 finishes in eleven races, and his only finish outside of the Top 10 was an "abysmal" twelfth.  Simply amazing.

My apologies to those who are hoping to see someone other than Hendrick win this weekend.  You might as well wait a couple of weeks more to turn on the TV.

Happy racing.

i hate hendricks.  but i must say jg is on fire.  but, even with that, you are wrong.  hendricks will be brought to its knees tomorrow night by the awesome team of rcr.  hardvick and burton will be up front fighting for the prime position, but, jeff burton will pull it off in a glorious fashion.  the big wreck will take out jg and jj.  jr will put all he has to get the victory and over drive his car and, as dale sr said, 'he'll adjust it on the wall' but not to the effect as he did in 2000.  jr will cause the big wreck of the night, but not to worry, he can, no points for this one.

WSF

• Driver
  • 2013 Yahoo Fantasy Racing Champion!!!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 18, 2007, 07:51:40 PM »
 I know the Hendricks are almost non stopable. But this is the all star race any thing go's, so do you think other drivers are going to sit back and let RHR win another race? No! I would be looking for just maybe someone knocking them out, not that i know for sure just guessing. My moneys on Mark! but then again it very week i pull for my guy too win! 
The Seattle Seahawks are SuperBowl Champions!!!!!

PettyBlue

• Crew Chief
    • View Profile
    • The Checkerboard Lounge
« Reply #4 on: May 18, 2007, 08:29:59 PM »
I'm pullin for Gilliand. It all depends if they had a qualifying setup or race setup in practice. He did look much better in the corners then most. 
“Cats know, comin' out of four, they better be standin' on it, else they'll be standin' in it.” - Richard Petty

#1Jimmiefan

• Driver
    • View Profile
    • Myspace
« Reply #5 on: May 18, 2007, 10:31:49 PM »
I naturally hope that Johnson takes the title again this year! 

I do see a new look about Gordon this year!  I think it is the new wife and baby.  Being happy in your personal life tends to give a balance.

Missie

I second this opinion in every aspect!

canuck speed freak

• Driver
  • G Stars Rule!
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 19, 2007, 12:38:39 AM »
With race 27, the points are reset,with only 10 per win awarded to the driver, anyone in the last 12 will have a chance to take the title. no one would argue the 24 and his double, pun intended, are the favorites, but if they were to have a mediocre playoff season, there will be 10 others battling the Hendricks boys for the Cup. I forsee the Fords and Dodges to continue to improve and if the other Chevy teams had the Hendrick Luck, they would have more wins.I Look for exciting racing all year even if the 24 and 48 continue their dominance.
You must first finish, to finish First. mfdiana.com
www.parksvillegenerals.org  VP and scorekeeper
www.focusfanatics.com proud member

Quack

• Administrator
  • Driver
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 19, 2007, 12:41:41 AM »
I Look for exciting racing all year even if the 24 and 48 continue their dominance.

I could not possibly agree more.  Racing is exciting, no matter who is or is not dominating!  :)

Signholder

• Administrator
  • Driver
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 19, 2007, 12:10:36 PM »
This is the race for the bad boys to show their stuff.
Look for Harvick, Stewart and Juan to beat and bang their way to the front leaving the competition wrecked behind. Ky. Busch will try the same, but my money says he will cause the "big one" tonight taking Hendricks out of the running.
Heeeer's yur sign!!!

canuck speed freak

• Driver
  • G Stars Rule!
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 19, 2007, 01:29:25 PM »
The dominance may end briefly tonight. Watch Denny Hamlin step up and put his car in victory lane with a vengeance. Or into the Wall.
Wouldn' surprise me to see Tony take out his teammate for a win.

HERM

• Driver
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 19, 2007, 05:18:06 PM »
alright enough.  everyone except the hendricks fans meet at the secret location at midnite tonite to discuss the banning of all positive comments about the hendricks team. 

Signholder

• Administrator
  • Driver
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 19, 2007, 05:24:05 PM »
alright enough.  everyone except the hendricks fans meet at the secret location at midnite tonite to discuss the banning of all positive comments about the hendricks team. 
I'm with herm,
I'll bring the snacks ;)
Heeeer's yur sign!!!

canuck speed freak

• Driver
  • G Stars Rule!
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 19, 2007, 05:29:02 PM »
I'm with herm,
I'll bring the snacks ;)
Ill bring the beer

#1Jimmiefan

• Driver
    • View Profile
    • Myspace
« Reply #13 on: May 19, 2007, 11:43:21 PM »

You just like to pick on me!  ;)

caboolarue

« Reply #14 on: May 20, 2007, 11:08:03 AM »
Singholder, you just about called this one.  Good job Harvick.  Sorry I missed the after party.  Had to get some shuteye.

Signspotter#19

• Authors
  • Driver
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: May 20, 2007, 11:03:03 PM »
Okay, so they don't call it The Winston anymore, but I have a real difficult time calling it "The Nextel All-Star Challenge".  As a result, I still think of it as The Winston.

Usually before the race I try to wax philosophical and offer up an article on who to watch and who is going to win.  In writing these articles, I try and spread the wealth around a little bit and point out some guys that are looking to score some good finishes, and that I believe have a legitimate opportunity to do so for that particular race.  However, since this is a non-points race weekend, there'll be none of that, because with one million dollars (said in my best Austin Powers voice) on the line, who really gives a crap about 2nd place?  Let alone a Top 10 or Top 15.  Get the check or go to the house.

Who's Going To Win

Happy racing.

Who's Going To Win

Happy racing.

How's that crow tasting Quack?  I'm telling you, if Hamlin gets his pit crew in top shape, he will be the next Champion! If he doesn't, I think Kenseth will give Gordon a run for the title.
"Everyone's invited to the Barn for bologna burgers next Saturday night"

Signholder

• Administrator
  • Driver
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: May 21, 2007, 08:32:31 AM »
Singholder, you just about called this one.  Good job Harvick.  Sorry I missed the after party.  Had to get some shuteye.

Thanks!!!
Heeeer's yur sign!!!

luviank09

• Gas Man
    • View Profile
    • ukrain girl
The Winston
« Reply #17 on: February 11, 2010, 03:25:04 AM »
Very nice steve. Your times make a bit more sense now Are you spraying it right out of the hole, waiting till 2nd, or just higher rpms?