Author Topic: Here's To Randy Dorton  (Read 10815 times)

Quack

• Administrator
  • Driver
    • View Profile
Here's To Randy Dorton
« on: May 13, 2007, 07:31:02 PM »
Randy Dorton, two-and-a-half years after your untimely death, you are *still* the man.  Randy was unfortunately among the ten that were ripped away from the racing community on that fateful day in October 2004 when a Hendrick plane crashed on approach to Martinsville.

For those who don't recognize that name, Randy Dorton was the mind behind the Hendrick Motorsports engine department.  It was largely his creation.  He built one heck of an engine, but more importantly, as only a true team player can do, he passed on his wealth of engine-building knowledge to the team of managers, engineers, and builders that he recruited during his tenure.  If you look at the last 2+ years of racing, you'll see that his staff hasn't missed a beat.  They've carried on the torch, and continue to build some of the best engines in racing.

So, why would I write an article about Randy Dorton?  Well, simply put, because I'm utterly amazed that Jeff Gordon's engine didn't grenade today.  I have never in my life seen an engine last the way that engine lasted, *long* after it began running hot.  And the team never even raised the hood.  No water was added.  Nothing.

On Lap 240, after pitting under caution for the crash with the #21 and #6, Jeff Gordon suddenly keyed his radio and announced, "I don't know what just happened, but we're at 260 on water.  It's the first time it's been over 210 all day."

On Lap 272, he came on the radio again.  "It's gonna let go pretty soon.  Oil is at 340."  That's 340 degrees.  I'm not sure that I've ever heard of a car continuing to run after the oil got anywhere near that hot.  I'm not an engineer, or a mechanic, but that is insanely hot.

"Well," you say, "under green it obviously cooled off."

Actually, that's what is even more amazing: it didn't.  The #24 ran the final 127 laps of the race (that's over 173 miles) with an engine whose water temperature was no less than 260 degrees, and went as high as 270.  Not only that, but five more cautions would fly during those 127 laps, and on each one, steam was billowing out of the overflow.

Say what you will, but I for one am in awe that the #24 won the Dodge Avenger 500 at Darlington Raceway today.  And I'm pretty confident that they are as well.

Here's to Randy Dorton, and the entire Hendrick Motorsports engine department.

wendyrlfg

• Jackman
    • View Profile
Re: Here's To Randy Dorton
« Reply #1 on: May 13, 2007, 08:06:15 PM »
Wow great minds think alike - while was 1st watching the 24 engine overheating I started thinking about Randy too. -As the race continued & they got a caution & didn't have to run the coolant machine on the car & then Jeff was rubbing the back of Newman to clear his grill - I thought about what a great race team they are & Randy obviouly left a lasting impression & vast book of knowledge that they still rely on today - I have been a Ford girl since day one - thats where ther lfg part of my screen name comes from I had an old friend when I worked in the car business call me little ford girl - but now that M.Martin is retiring & driving a Chevy - I might just have to burn my FAG shirt - (Fans Against Gordon - for you Newbies) - By the way I some how have to 24 fans as kids - Happy Mothers Day to any mom that reads this - went to Darlington last year pissed I couldn't go this yr & you can bet I'll be there next yr

HERM

• Driver
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 13, 2007, 08:57:23 PM »
ya know, it gets real hard to make negative comments against a team that has done what HMS has accomplished this season.  my hat is off to hendricks and all my best wishes.

#1Jimmiefan

• Driver
    • View Profile
    • Myspace
« Reply #3 on: May 13, 2007, 09:55:30 PM »
Quack, I just want to thank you for posting this. It's a wonderful tribute to Randy and HMS. As a die-hard fan of HMS, I was totally amazed that Jeff's motor didn't blow up. I don't think I have EVER seen a car run that hot and do well. I actually told my hubby about 1oo laps to go that there was no way Jeff wasn't going to blow up. At around 40 to go, he agreed with me...we were both very pleasantly surprised.

canuck speed freak

• Driver
  • G Stars Rule!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 15, 2007, 01:55:01 AM »
Very well stated, Quack.
Thank you
You must first finish, to finish First. mfdiana.com
www.parksvillegenerals.org  VP and scorekeeper
www.focusfanatics.com proud member

richevrc

• Tire Changer
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 15, 2007, 10:52:35 PM »
awesome post quack loved it ;D

Pridalk09

• Gas Man
    • View Profile
    • Interesting site.
Heres To Randy Dorton
« Reply #6 on: December 30, 2009, 11:05:09 AM »
hey good deal man. other than body work as you said, got any other plans for it yet?

Checkers 88

• Administrator
  • Driver
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 18, 2010, 03:11:47 PM »
Wow! its really strange to see an old Thread reopened, and to see Herms name on it. My heart fell to the floor.

WSF

• Driver
  • 2013 Yahoo Fantasy Racing Champion!!!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 24, 2010, 02:06:56 AM »
Wow! its really strange to see an old Thread reopened, and to see Herms name on it. My heart fell to the floor.
I know what you mean, have you heard anything new?
The Seattle Seahawks are SuperBowl Champions!!!!!

Checkers 88

• Administrator
  • Driver
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 25, 2010, 12:57:26 AM »
No, I havent. but I'm sure it will take time. These things take a few years then appeals. And according to Herms Ex wife's friend, this case is so tainted, who knows. its just all sad. And here it is Christmas time. Next month will be one year since My husband and I met him in person. It kind of freaks me out a little bit.