Author Topic: Picking A Favorite Driver  (Read 8310 times)

Texas16

• Driver
    • View Profile
Picking A Favorite Driver
« on: May 12, 2007, 12:07:10 PM »
For all of you who haven’t done so yet, here are a few tips on how to pick a favorite driver.

1.  Inherit a driver.  There’re a few ways of doing this.  You may follow a sponsor and cheer on whoever’s driving that car.  A dear friend is a collector of one sponsor’s memorabilia, so he cheers for the driver of that sponsor’s car.  Another example is former Earnhardt fans who yell for Harvick, who essentially replaced The Intimidator in the Goodwrench car several years back.  Or all of those Kurt Busch fans whose loyalty still longs to see Rusty climb out of the ole Blue Deuce.

2.  Keep it in the family.  The most obvious example of this method is that hoard of Little E fans who adopted him simply because he was Big E’s son. 

3.  Go with the flow.  Cheering for Jeff Gordon is a no-brainer.  He’s fantastically popular, personable, and easy on the eyes, his collectibles are easily obtainable, his name is everywhere, and not least of all, he’s very, very good.  There won’t be many weeks in any season when a Jeff Gordon fan has to be embarrassed by a bad performance.  We won’t talk about 2005. 

4.  Husbands, boyfriends, fathers.  ‘Nuff said.

5.  Sentimentality.  All you Petty Enterprises fans know about this.

6.  Stewart.  This has to be a category in and of itself and one that is beyond definition.

7.  Hotness.  Only one word necessary here:  Kahne.

8.  Thumbs.  I have a fetish for thumb knuckles.  There isn’t a better set of thumb-knuckles in NASCAR than Bobby Labonte’s.  Just had to throw that out there.

9.  Every other reason under the sun.  He’s an underdog.  He looks like a bit like Nicolas Cage.  He’s from a state where NASCAR’s popularity is far below that of trout fishing and whale spotting.  He’s got a funny-sounding last name.  He’s actually a pretty doggone good driver.

I could go on and on with this list because there are nearly as many reasons for picking a favorite as there are fans.  But if there are any fence-sitters out there, I hope these ideas are of some help to you in picking a new favorite driver. 
Bug-Eyed Dummy can drive.

Signspotter#19

• Driver
    • View Profile
Re: Picking A Favorite Driver
« Reply #1 on: May 12, 2007, 01:17:41 PM »
Kahne, hot? Please :P He isn't even in puberty yet. Cute but not hot. Sadler is HOT! :o I am prejudice but it is still a fact ;D
"Everyone's invited to the Barn for bologna burgers next Saturday night"

Texas16

• Driver
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 12, 2007, 01:59:11 PM »
Kahne, hot? Please :P He isn't even in puberty yet. Cute but not hot. Sadler is HOT! :o I am prejudice but it is still a fact ;D

Maybe so, but I have some job security thanks to thousands of girls out there who DO think Kahne is hot.

Quack

• Administrator
  • Driver
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 12, 2007, 02:12:36 PM »
Cat fight!   ;D

HERM

• Driver
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 12, 2007, 03:54:07 PM »
you forgot:

1. antagonist fan:  to pull for someone just to irritate those around you.

2. front runner fan:  the fan who pulls for whoever is in the lead or on a hot streak at moment.

3. asstetic fan:  the fan who pulls for who has the prettiest collor car. 

also, on the hotness fan, i must agree.  i would pull for dania patrick if she brought a bicycle to a nascar race. may i say...gawd.

i have one more but i do not know how to title it.  i pull for jon wood.  yes, i know i have not mentioned this before.  i have alot i like, but i am diehard for the wood brothers.  the reason is, they are the oldest active team.  over 50 years of cup racing.  i do not care whether the place, i support them to the day the pull out that lone win.  and let me say this, there will be a celebration.

Texas16

• Driver
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 12, 2007, 03:59:06 PM »
Thanks for your additions, Herm.  You're right I did miss a few.  I like your aesthetic fan addition best but then that has something to do with a long ago financial gain when I picked football teams based almost entirely on whether I liked their uniforms.  There was some consideration of their merit as a team--Seahawks had the best uniforms that season but they weren't a particulary good choice to win.  Or do well.

Signholder

• Administrator
  • Driver
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 12, 2007, 05:58:05 PM »
I'm curious, mainly for Scott. When does your sub-conscious tell your conscious that a certain driver is your favorite  ???
Heeeer's yur sign!!!

HERM

• Driver
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 12, 2007, 08:28:33 PM »
Thanks for your additions, Herm.  You're right I did miss a few.  I like your aesthetic fan addition best but then that has something to do with a long ago financial gain when I picked football teams based almost entirely on whether I liked their uniforms.  There was some consideration of their merit as a team--Seahawks had the best uniforms that season but they weren't a particulary good choice to win.  Or do well.

we missed one...like with a football team, localality

local driver...picking a driver due to him/her being from near you or having something in common.  hometown, home state, race, same region, etc.

Scott

• Administrator
  • Driver
    • View Profile
    • ScottSpain.com
« Reply #8 on: May 13, 2007, 03:53:10 AM »
It's official Kahne and Sadler are my favorites.

*drools*

I'm curious, mainly for Scott. When does your sub-conscious tell your conscious that a certain driver is your favorite  ???

That's a d@mn good question. The important thing for me is that I don't force the issue. Could I "pick" a favorite driver right now? Sure. I have enough information now that I could make a logical decision. But that wouldn't be the right way for me to go about it.

Jimmie Johnson is one of the many drivers I thought I liked. I saw something in a race earlier this year that rubbed me the wrong way. What if I had already declared him my "favorite"?

I think it's a long, slow, gradual process.  It will come eventually.

I would, however, like to add a criteria to your list: Accessibility.

I know a lot of baseball fans who love the Atlanta Braves. Many admit that the reason they like them is that they were able to watch a lot of their games, due to having WTBS on cable. That's probably a reason Tony Stewart is one of my favorites. I get to listen to him on Sirius every week. Listening to him for 2 hours/week sort of makes me feel like I know him better than any of the other drivers. That makes him a favorite.
- Scott Spain

Texas16

• Driver
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 13, 2007, 11:46:39 AM »
If a piddly little radio show makes Slammin' Stewie a potential favorite, then heck, the plethora of MW's media functions should make him an overwhelming favorite!

canuck speed freak

• Driver
  • G Stars Rule!
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 13, 2007, 11:53:51 AM »
Having been a race fan for many moons, I still have no favorite driver, nor do i ever expect to. they all have my respect and admiration, despite their performance, location or religious beleifs. I have been upset by what happens on the track tho but never hold the grudge long. Since I've abandoned any fantasy pools for the first time in 15 years, I have been able to enjoy the race more without the anxiety of my "fave" being crashed out.
You must first finish, to finish First. mfdiana.com
www.parksvillegenerals.org  VP and scorekeeper
www.focusfanatics.com proud member

Scott

• Administrator
  • Driver
    • View Profile
    • ScottSpain.com
« Reply #11 on: May 13, 2007, 11:05:27 PM »
I could see that happening to me. I'm not going to force myself to pick a fave. If one emerges as a favorite, so be it. If not, I'll live.
- Scott Spain

DEJ8Fan

• Gas Man
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 15, 2007, 02:58:34 PM »
Thumb knuckles???

Now you got me looking at my thumb knuckles, and asking myself, "Self, do you need to get those thumb knuckles to the gym?  They're lookin' a little puney!"

WSF

• Driver
  • 2013 Yahoo Fantasy Racing Champion!!!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 15, 2007, 03:12:59 PM »
I could see that happening to me. I'm not going to force myself to pick a fave. If one emerges as a favorite, so be it. If not, I'll live.
I know Scott, just write all the drivers name down on a piece of paper put them all in a hat and whom ever you pull out first in your driver. LOL
The Seattle Seahawks are SuperBowl Champions!!!!!

sdmpoe

• Gas Man
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: May 17, 2007, 04:21:08 PM »
Jimmy Johnson is my favorite driver.  He has really come a long way!!!!  He has a lot to learn but hey he is getting the job done.  It also helps to create some fun in our house on race day with the hubby and kids   8).

Go Jimmy Go!!!!

Missie

HERM

• Driver
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: May 17, 2007, 04:52:48 PM »
gawd i hate hendricks is having such a good year.  crow is getting old.

caboolarue

« Reply #16 on: June 15, 2007, 11:04:16 PM »
you forgot:

1. antagonist fan:  to pull for someone just to irritate those around you.

2. front runner fan:  the fan who pulls for whoever is in the lead or on a hot streak at moment.

3. asstetic fan:  the fan who pulls for who has the prettiest collor car. 

also, on the hotness fan, i must agree.  i would pull for dania patrick if she brought a bicycle to a nascar race. may i say...gawd.

i have one more but i do not know how to title it.  i pull for jon wood.  yes, i know i have not mentioned this before.  i have alot i like, but i am diehard for the wood brothers.  the reason is, they are the oldest active team.  over 50 years of cup racing.  i do not care whether the place, i support them to the day the pull out that lone win.  and let me say this, there will be a celebration.
Herm, I've been catchin up on some readin, now I know why you're a JPM fan. #1 Antagonize. ;)

HERM

• Driver
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: June 16, 2007, 12:30:43 PM »
Herm, I've been catchin up on some readin, now I know why you're a JPM fan. #1 Antagonize. ;)
what?????   *innocent look*   me??  antagonize???   never.   ;D

caboolarue

« Reply #18 on: June 16, 2007, 02:42:00 PM »
what?????   *innocent look*   me??  antagonize???   never.   ;D
Herm, you made my heart laugh. 8) :) :D ;D

1_Newman_Fan

• Driver
  • Poor Boy Racing class 7sx
    • View Profile
    • Bazi
« Reply #19 on: June 16, 2007, 09:43:43 PM »
omg ok im the one at the track draging a 8 dale jr car on a red dog leash on its roof lol it makes people talk...