Author Topic: BTW: There's a Race This Weekend  (Read 3056 times)

Quack

• Administrator
  • Driver
    • View Profile
BTW: There's a Race This Weekend
« on: May 10, 2007, 10:17:06 PM »
With Junior's announcement today, he kinda turned the NASCAR world on its ear.  Hopefully people remember that there is actually going to be a race this weekend!

Darlington is one of the greatest tracks in NASCAR history.  It's a shame that we only get one race a year there while we have to endure two a year at places like California and Pocono, amongst others.  The fact of the matter is, Darlington consistently produces some of, if not the best racing each year.  There's just something about the shape of the track and the sandpaper-like surface that lends itself to incredible racing from the green all the way to the checkers.  I absolutely -love- this track!

Who To Watch
Who? Kasey Kahne
Why? He's had an abysmal year, but the kid can't continue to run this bad each week.  He has run well at Darlington each time he's been there, with finishes of 13th, 5th, 3rd, and 21st in his four starts there.  Last year he led a bunch of laps before fading at the end.  He desperately needs a good run (read: finish), and, if he can get comfortable with the CoT, Darlington should be just what the doctor ordered.

Who? Greg Biffle
Why? Like Kahne, Biffle is in dire need of a good run.  He currently sits 15th in points, 119 out of 12th and only 51 ahead of 21st.  Who would've thought that after being named the "Senior Driver" at Roush that he'd only be the fourth best Roushketeer through ten races?  He won the last two Darlington races, so he most definitely knows how to get around the place.  The #16 bunch seems to have a better handle on the CoT than Kahne's team does, so Biffle should be near the front in the closing laps on Saturday night.

Who? Jamie McMurray
Why? The #26 bunch is arguably the most improved team from last year.  Last year they weren't even in the same time zone as most of the field, but this year have generally been a Top 15 car.  Darlington is a track at which McMurray has two Top 5 runs with another Top 10 thrown in for good measure.  Being fast at the Lady in Black is all about momentum, and McMurray usually does well on momentum tracks.

Who? Dale Earnhardt, Jr
Why? The weight is lifted off his shoulders.  No more negotiations to worry about; at least not with The Wicked Witch of the Carolinas.  That alone should be enough for him to find an extra 30 horsepower.  Also, in the last eight Darlington races, Junior has only finished outside the Top 10 twice, and those were an 11th and a 25th.  With his mind at ease now, he just might be ready to crack open some Bud in Victory Lane this weekend.

Who's Going to Win
Let's face it, one has to almost be an idiot to not go with a Hendrick car these days.  They're batting a perfect 1.000 in 4 CoT races.  I would not be the least bit surprised to see the #24, the #48, or the #5 leading them to the checkers in the Dodge Avenger 500 Saturday night, but that's too easy to "predict".  So, I'm going to go with another Chevy driver that is having an outstanding season.  If not for a few silly mistakes, he'd already have a win or two this season, and I think he gets his first win this weekend: #11 Denny Hamlin.  The kid is amazing.  He's calm under pressure.  He's defying the "Sophomore Jinx".  He's the man that'll be adding a trophy to his collection this weekend.

Happy racing

Signholder

• Administrator
  • Driver
    • View Profile
Re: BTW: There's a Race This Weekend
« Reply #1 on: May 10, 2007, 10:33:59 PM »
I'm glad you changed gears. I'm on Jr. overload and feeling a little queezy.
I think your right on #11 Hamlin. He's run good all year but mental errors by him or his crew have stopped him from getting to victory lane.
Go Denny  ;)
Heeeer's yur sign!!!

PettyBlue

• Crew Chief
    • View Profile
    • The Checkerboard Lounge
« Reply #2 on: May 10, 2007, 10:50:22 PM »
COT . . . 6 Wins at Darlington with 14 top 5 finishes. It will be another JG win.

But if we must choose another LONG SHOT I'll go with Jeff Burton. 2 Wins and 8 top 5 finishes at Darlington. He was looking good early in the year and this is the place where he can regain his winning ways.
« Last Edit: May 11, 2007, 11:37:42 AM by PettyBlue »
“Cats know, comin' out of four, they better be standin' on it, else they'll be standin' in it.” - Richard Petty

HERM

• Driver
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 11, 2007, 10:44:10 AM »
can i pick all of rousch without causing a conflict.  bug eyed one has the best shot, but for some off the wall reason, i think mcmurrey will pull out his win tomorrow night.

WSF

• Driver
  • 2013 Yahoo Fantasy Racing Champion!!!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 11, 2007, 02:32:04 PM »
can i pick all of rousch without causing a conflict.  bug eyed one has the best shot, but for some off the wall reason, i think mcmurrey will pull out his win tomorrow night.
I love Roush! You'll have no problem with me. So pick away.
The Seattle Seahawks are SuperBowl Champions!!!!!

HERM

• Driver
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 11, 2007, 02:43:45 PM »
ya'll just remember, if any of my family asked who i picked after the race, it is always who won.  we have to keep the aggrevation level up.

jgr20fanNC

• Gas Man
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 11, 2007, 02:59:38 PM »
I just hope that the Gibbs cars finally get some good luck and complete the deal this weekend.
I'm headed to Darlington to see it live. WOOOOOOHOOOOO! ! ! ! ! !

HERM

• Driver
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 11, 2007, 03:39:59 PM »
I just hope that the Gibbs cars finally get some good luck and complete the deal this weekend.
I'm headed to Darlington to see it live. WOOOOOOHOOOOO! ! ! ! ! !
i am jealous.  went only to atl busch race so far.  funds are short.

Signspotter#19

• Authors
  • Driver
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 11, 2007, 05:03:45 PM »
I think the top five in any order will be Burton, Johnson, Gordon, Kenseth, and the Biff!
"Everyone's invited to the Barn for bologna burgers next Saturday night"

HERM

• Driver
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 11, 2007, 05:06:56 PM »
I think the top five in any order will be Burton, Johnson, Gordon, Kenseth, and the Biff!
the only reason i disagree, the 24 and 48 are due a hiccup.  one of the 2 will have a problem.  jr to fill spot with the 8 due to the pressure being off, and need to audition for new team. (lol did i really waste my time saying he had to audition)

PettyBlue

• Crew Chief
    • View Profile
    • The Checkerboard Lounge
« Reply #10 on: May 11, 2007, 05:57:11 PM »
with Boyer on the pole I feel even better about J Burton
“Cats know, comin' out of four, they better be standin' on it, else they'll be standin' in it.” - Richard Petty

wendyrlfg

• Jackman
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 15, 2007, 11:33:31 PM »
BTW - T

wendyrlfg

• Jackman
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 15, 2007, 11:36:35 PM »
btw - there is a race every weekend -opps sorry my last post got shut off