Author Topic: Pure Coincidence?  (Read 8440 times)

Quack

• Administrator
  • Driver
    • View Profile
Pure Coincidence?
« on: March 31, 2008, 01:06:27 PM »
In the waning laps of the Goody's Cool Orange 500 at Martinsville on Sunday, Jeff Burton in the #31 AT&T Chevrolet was fighting hard to overtake leader Denny Hamlin.  Most people that are familiar with racing, and NASCAR in particular, would agree that it was evident that Burton had the better car at that time.  Most of those same people would also agree that it is well known that Jeff Burton is one of the classiest drivers around, and he will not intentionally wreck someone in order to win.

So, lap after lap it was with a great deal of frustration that many of us watched as a rookie driver, piloting a car in his very first Cup start, while multiple laps down to the leaders refused to move out of the way and let the leaders decide the race amongst themselves.  I kept saying "Move him, Jeff, move him!", knowing that even if Burton could hear me he was not going to do it, and also knowing that any other driver on the circuit would not hesitate to move the rookie out of the way.  Finally, after the third, fourth, and fifth place cars had caught him and were now beating on his back bumper, Mr. Burton moved out of the way and let Carl Edwards in the #99 by.  Once by the #31, it took Edwards only a single corner to move the rookie out of the way, but by then it was too late; Hamlin had driven the FedEx #11 off to a comfortable lead of about 2 seconds.  The only way for the field to catch him would have been a caution flag.  Unfortunately for Burton and the others, that caution never came.

The broadcasters in the booth, and virtually everyone else that I have talked to said the same thing: "It's a rookie trying to get TV time and trying to make a name for himself early on in his career".  I even thought the same thing at first.  Then this morning it hit me.  The rookie in question is Michael McDowell, who by all accounts is a greatly talented young driver.  McDowell is the newest stable member of Michael Waltrip Racing, driving the #00 Aaron's Dream Machine Toyota.

<bells>
Ding, ding, ding, ding, ding, ding, ding, ding, ding, ding, ding!
</bells>

#11 Toyota, #00 Toyota, vs. the #31 Chevy.

Just a coincidence?  Not hardly.  There is little doubt in my mind that Toyota paid Mr. McDowell a really handsome bonus for his significant role in securing the manufacturer's 2nd Cup win in the last three races.  There is little doubt that there are many Cup wins yet to come for Toyota.  It is their calling card.  They buy their way into a series, and then buy their way to the top of the series - picking apart other teams and taking the cream of the crop. 

Money buys speed, period.  It always has, and it always will.  On Sunday at Martinsville, in my opinion, money bought a rookie blocker - a moving chicane - that helped give Toyota another 'W'.

CodeBlueEMT

Re: Pure Coincidence?
« Reply #1 on: March 31, 2008, 01:12:54 PM »
 They (the broadcasters) said the same thing (blocking) when Kyle Busch was running behind Hamlin, didn't happen though, Kyle moved over.

Thank God "parking lot" racing is over...let's go to Texas !!!

Shayne

Scott

• Administrator
  • Driver
    • View Profile
    • ScottSpain.com
« Reply #2 on: March 31, 2008, 01:20:47 PM »
- Scott Spain

zooney9334

« Reply #3 on: March 31, 2008, 02:02:26 PM »
So in the entire history of Nascar, this hasn't happened ever?  One team / manufacturer blocking another?  What happened to <shrug> "It's just racing at Martinsville" and move along? 

Scott

• Administrator
  • Driver
    • View Profile
    • ScottSpain.com
« Reply #4 on: March 31, 2008, 02:07:58 PM »
^ Quack's guy didn't win.
- Scott Spain

zooney9334

« Reply #5 on: March 31, 2008, 02:09:59 PM »
^ Quack's guy didn't win.

Well, yeah, I figured that with the non-biased reporting  ;D  ;)  My driver was watching the race from the golf course, so I'm hoping that he gets the bug to come back to race next year after spending all that time on the golf cart.

Racing Rocks

• Driver
  • Rail Roads Move America
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 31, 2008, 03:42:56 PM »
It's a fact that a lot of teams work together.... And if this was the case it's just a part of racing... And if this guy does it again and gets punted by a driver who wants the spot then that's the way it will be... Maybe he'll learn to race with some respect to the leaders and not with a few minutes of fame..

zooney9334

« Reply #7 on: March 31, 2008, 04:22:10 PM »
That's why I really, really, really wish "they'd" make up their collective minds and state whether the Nationwide Series is going to be a development series or not.  If it's going to remain the "Practice Race before the Real Race", then situations like this are going to happen alot (yes, I'm giving McD the benefit of the doubt and assume that he had no idea what he was doing).  These young drivers need practice behind the wheel, and Arca goes to SOME of the tracks but not all of them.  Since Burton is a Buschwac- I mean Nation Invader - then he should ask if it's worth winning on Saturday or letting someone get experience so he can win on Sunday.

Quack

• Administrator
  • Driver
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 31, 2008, 05:44:20 PM »
FWIW, I picked Hamlin for the win.  My gut said he was going to win, and he did.  Does this sort of thing happen all the time?  Absolutely.  I never even suggested that it didn't.  Does anyone really think that it was "just racing at Martinsville"?  That is the question I was posing.  I don't think that it was.  I think it was a driver for the same manufacturer blocking for another one.

Will it happen again?  Of course.  Do I have a problem with that?  No.  Do I have a problem with Toyota being in NASCAR?  Not really.  And no, I am not a manufacturer specific kinda guy.  Hell, my favorite driver drives a Chevy, and I hate the pieces of shit.  I generally drive Fords, Dodges and Toyotas.  In my driveway right now is a Ford and a Toyota.

Just pointing out that I think there was more to the deal than a rookie looking to get air time.  And I think Toyota should give him a big bonus check.

moon

• Driver
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 31, 2008, 06:49:17 PM »
Scott, those copters are much blacker than those in your pic, I've seen um. ;)

Scott

• Administrator
  • Driver
    • View Profile
    • ScottSpain.com
« Reply #10 on: March 31, 2008, 08:18:04 PM »
LOL @ moon.

In my driveway right now is a Ford and a Toyota.

How are those runnin' for ya?
- Scott Spain

Quack

• Administrator
  • Driver
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 31, 2008, 08:28:47 PM »
How are those runnin' for ya?

The Ford, not so much.  The Toyota, perfect.  :)

Scott

• Administrator
  • Driver
    • View Profile
    • ScottSpain.com
« Reply #12 on: March 31, 2008, 08:30:12 PM »
You ain't gonna start callin' me names again, are ya? :D
- Scott Spain

Quack

• Administrator
  • Driver
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 31, 2008, 08:34:54 PM »
Depends on how much of an asshole and a dick you decide to be.   :D

Scott

• Administrator
  • Driver
    • View Profile
    • ScottSpain.com
« Reply #14 on: March 31, 2008, 08:35:54 PM »
So glad to see you're upholding the family-friendly standards on this forum. You should buy a minivan!
- Scott Spain

Quack

• Administrator
  • Driver
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: March 31, 2008, 08:37:17 PM »
Ya know, I think I might just do that.  Then I'll drive out there to SLC and kick your door in so I can take you guys out in my new minivan for dinner.

Scott

• Administrator
  • Driver
    • View Profile
    • ScottSpain.com
« Reply #16 on: March 31, 2008, 08:40:08 PM »
Good luck figuring out which minivan is yours in a SLC parking lot.

You'll fit right in here. Especially if you're sporting one of these:

- Scott Spain

Quack

• Administrator
  • Driver
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: March 31, 2008, 08:42:02 PM »
Hmmmmmm.  Nope, I think I'm safe there.

CodeBlueEMT

« Reply #18 on: April 01, 2008, 10:03:36 AM »
 ROFLMAO !!!

Shayne

Racing Rocks

• Driver
  • Rail Roads Move America
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: April 01, 2008, 01:10:30 PM »
You guys are funnier then hell....Thanks for the laugh..