Author Topic: My Typical Race Day  (Read 4980 times)

Signspotter#19

• Driver
    • View Profile
My Typical Race Day
« on: April 25, 2007, 10:47:14 PM »
My morning begins preparing for the race. Phone battery charged enough to last me through the race… check. Anything I may want to snack on or drink during race…check.
Animals fed and watered…check. List of fantasy picks in front of me…check. Ok I’m ready. In case your wondering about the battery for my phone, TMS#16 and I chat, complain or cheer about what is happening during the race. Sometimes we are on the phone during the entire race and sometimes just during cautions or commercials. We get a good laugh out of some of them but mostly we complain that they are on instead of the race.                                                                 

The presentation of the colors is in progress. We hear the prayer. Now it’s time for the National Anthem. The camera pans over pit row where the drivers and their teams are standing with their hands over their hearts, hats off (except for Mrs. Harvick if she is wearing one), and some even singing. Now it is time for the most famous words in motor sports. Gentlemen..start..your..ENGINES! WOW! I get excited just thinking about it. The green flag drops and now I am waiting to see not only who will lead the first lap but who will screw up and wreck before one full lap has been run. The rest of the race is spent keeping up with my driver and the drivers I picked in my fantasy racing pool. I also, toward the end of the race, have to worry about who everyone else in the pool picked that I didn’t and where they are running. This sometimes causes me to have to run for the aspirin bottle.

I, as most fans do, watch for who has tire rub, strange smoke coming from parts unknown (I am not mechanically inclined), loose cars reeking havoc, and the drivers being lapped who don’t want to be lapped. Then there are those drivers holding grudges that are closing in on their prey that get me so excited to see what will happen when they are side by side.  Most of the time I feel let down. They go by each other as if no issues exist. In my mind, they still do. Then there are those moves made by talented somewhat crazy or just plain stupid drivers that make me cringe. Especially when they do that crap around my man. We have all heard those words that make you hold your breath, scared your driver is involved, “There’s trouble!” You wait for the camera, which moves in slow motion by that point, to finally show what the hay is going on. Is my man involved? If so, who did it? If not, where will that put him now?

While the race is going, I have this psychic connection with my driver and anyone else I need to communicate with. I have been known to look at my husband and ask him, ”Why are they not listening to me?” I often have advice on what should happen in the pits. Nothing technical, just get him in, get him fixed, and get him out. Again, they act as if they can’t hear me? What is going on? Luckily, I can act as if I can do as good or better than they are because I know I will never be in their shoes and have to prove that theory. Doesn’t my man understand that I am trying to help him win?

On the last 20 or 30 laps of the race, I know who I picked,  who everyone else in the pool picked, and where my Sadler boy is running. Now, I am frantically trying to help my picks get to the front, push the other participants picks that aren’t mine to the back, and get my Sadler boy up to the front.  This is very hard work, sometimes requiring more aspirin. I love racing. The checkered flag waves and depending on the outcome as to whether I am a happy fan, a sad fan, or an angry fan. I am definitely a very tired fan. Then there is the long wait for Tuesday to find out who got fined for what and how bad it will be.

I think men and women alike watch racing similarly. Although I must admit TMS#16 and I do look at the drivers and who looks particularly nice that day in their fire suits. The discussion also turns to who looks scruffier or just plain ridiculous. There was once a discussion on who has the best lips, Sadler or Stewart? So there is an element of viewing that female fans (or at least this female fan and TMS#16) do that most males probably do not. We do admire paint schemes and advertisements and usually have comments on them but they aren’t usually as interesting as the fire suits and what they advertise. 

That’s the way this race fan enjoys a typical NASCAR day.
"Everyone's invited to the Barn for bologna burgers next Saturday night"

CodeBlueEMT

Re: My Typical Race Day
« Reply #1 on: April 26, 2007, 11:51:27 AM »
 Not a bad way to spend a Sunday afternoon or a Saturday night, huh?

Shayne

Scott

• Administrator
  • Driver
    • View Profile
    • ScottSpain.com
« Reply #2 on: April 26, 2007, 01:22:45 PM »
My race day seems very different.  Especially the phone part.

I'm not quite sure how to deal with the phone thing. When I was a football junkie, there was no phone. Everyone who knows me, knew that calling me during a Broncos game was punishable by death.

I never spoke at all during a Broncos game. I didn't jump, cheer, shout, or complain. I sat in a catatonic state until the final whistle blew. I never watched Broncos games with friends or family. Those that lived with me knew not to speak to me during the game, or for a few hours afterwards, if my team lost.

With NASCAR, I'm trying to be less of an a-hole about it, but I probably wouldn't talk to anyone about the race over the phone anyway. Especially since I normally use TiVo to start watching the race about an hour late. Too much room for spoilers for me to be answering a phone.
- Scott Spain

WSF

• Driver
  • 2013 Yahoo Fantasy Racing Champion!!!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 26, 2007, 08:32:32 PM »
Hey Scott i'm the same when it comes to my football team which is the Seahawks. I''m happy we no longer have play the Broncos. As for Nascar i love talking durning the race but not on the phone though. But anymore I seem to get in a fight with my Hubby about every race day. In this household we don't like the same drivers and especially when his driver just happens to take one of mine out then there's real trouble. The only driver we both agree on is Mark Martin.
The Seattle Seahawks are SuperBowl Champions!!!!!

#1Jimmiefan

• Driver
    • View Profile
    • Myspace
« Reply #4 on: April 30, 2007, 09:58:07 PM »
I have to admit, my race day begins with donning the appropriate driver-related garments: Jimmie Johnson shirt? check. hat? check ear rings? check belly ring? check. Okay now it's off to prep food for the friends coming to watch with us so I don't have to get up at all during the race other than bathroom breaks and a mad dash to refill the cooler with beer. No phone calls please, you will just hear me hollering at the TV. I am a VERY vocal fan, which gets interesting since my hubby and his best friend are Jeff Gordon fans and like to razz me about Jimmie. lol The final laps I am usually on my feet screaming my rear-end off that my boy Jimmie will pass whoever is in front of him!

Slippy Dean

• Jackman
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 02, 2007, 12:29:59 AM »
Sounds like a great day Signspotter...LOl...very funny

HERM

• Driver
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 05, 2007, 03:03:00 AM »
i scout the group where i am watching in order to pull for the most unpopular driver.  besides that, get in, sit down, hold on.

#1Jimmiefan

• Driver
    • View Profile
    • Myspace
« Reply #7 on: May 05, 2007, 09:02:43 PM »
i scout the group where i am watching in order to pull for the most unpopular driver.  besides that, get in, sit down, hold on.

Too funny! I used to do that until I picked my drivers.

HERM

• Driver
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 05, 2007, 09:48:31 PM »

i am a dale sr. fan.  swapped to dale jr. til omg everyone seemed to jump on the wagon.  i really do not have a favorite, i just did not want to be one of the crowd.  i am a lost sheep at the moment.

#1Jimmiefan

• Driver
    • View Profile
    • Myspace
« Reply #9 on: May 05, 2007, 09:57:14 PM »

i am a dale sr. fan.  swapped to dale jr. til omg everyone seemed to jump on the wagon.  i really do not have a favorite, i just did not want to be one of the crowd.  i am a lost sheep at the moment.

That's refreshing. I have met too many fans that profess to love Jr, but when asked about it divulge it's because of the name. You will find someone in time. There's some great talent among the youngsters.

HERM

• Driver
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 05, 2007, 10:05:16 PM »
i love the racing.  my 2 girls are diehard jr.  mother is a denny hamlin.  wife likes gilliand.  i just hang out and root for anyone passing any of these.  i have a blast.

#1Jimmiefan

• Driver
    • View Profile
    • Myspace
« Reply #11 on: May 05, 2007, 10:08:44 PM »
LMAO! A man after my own heart, just root for whoever will piss off the other people in the room! hee hee

Signholder

• Administrator
  • Driver
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 05, 2007, 10:10:48 PM »
herm,
maybe you need to change your screen name to antagonist.
Go #38 and #11
Heeeer's yur sign!!!

HERM

• Driver
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 05, 2007, 10:11:15 PM »
to even make it better, change drivers when another starts doing good and claim he was your FIRST pick all along.

Signholder

• Administrator
  • Driver
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: May 05, 2007, 10:13:04 PM »
LMAO :D
Your killing me!!!
Heeeer's yur sign!!!

HERM

• Driver
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: May 05, 2007, 10:16:19 PM »
herm,
Go #38 and #11
thanx for the suggestion, but will stick to my name, but tell me, how can you have more fun than to argue with your whole family about who is your pick for the race.  it don't cost a thing.  also, to really p#$s them off, i'll wear a jg t-shirt just to fuel the fire.

Signholder

• Administrator
  • Driver
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: May 05, 2007, 10:20:25 PM »
herm,
Go #38 and #11
thanx for the suggestion, but will stick to my name, but tell me, how can you have more fun than to argue with your whole family about who is your pick for the race.  it don't cost a thing.  also, to really p#$s them off, i'll wear a jg t-shirt just to fuel the fire.
I think MasterCard would call that----priceless ;)
Heeeer's yur sign!!!

Signspotter#19

• Driver
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: May 05, 2007, 11:52:14 PM »
i love the racing.  my 2 girls are diehard jr.  mother is a denny hamlin.  wife likes gilliand.  i just hang out and root for anyone passing any of these.  i have a blast.

That is too funny. Come watch a race with us. Bring the family. We will have a blast!
"Everyone's invited to the Barn for bologna burgers next Saturday night"

HERM

• Driver
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: May 06, 2007, 01:55:07 PM »

That is too funny. Come watch a race with us. Bring the family. We will have a blast!

would love too, but the damage from the knife and gun fights, i just could not afford.