Author Topic: Signspotter#19's NASCAR journey  (Read 3282 times)

Signspotter#19

• Driver
    • View Profile
Signspotter#19's NASCAR journey
« on: April 23, 2007, 12:17:51 AM »
First, I want to start by saying that I am not a writer. I am a NASCAR fan who is addicted to this wonderful sport and this is my journey.

They say the beginning is the best place to start. I began watching NASCAR after Signholder and I got married in the summer of 2000. Up until then I was a football fan since I was 7 years old. My husband was a NASCAR fan. He was a fan of the M&M car that was then driven by Ken Schrader. Since the NFL and NASCAR cannot coexist on TV (this was the age before TiVo and DVR's) NASCAR soon won out. I thought the M&M car was a cool looking car and I was soon a big fan of Schrader's. He is a very funny man.

I was beginning to learn who some of the drivers were and even could recognize them by their cars. I was really getting into it by the Daytona 500 race of 2001. I was so happy my Schrader was running up at the front. Then the horrible crash with Schrader and a driver I was not that familiar with named Earnhart happened. I had no idea until the next day that Earnhart had lost his life. I still did not know at that time what an impact that man had on this new sport I was coming to love. I had not paid enough attention at that point in the races I watched to realize what a legend this man was. For the rest of season 2001, I became educated not only about Earnhart and his "Intimidator" status, but enormous respect the other drivers had for this man. I soon began to learn how this NASCAR family works and I loved it.

In 2002 I found myself not only anxiously awaiting each race every week but also watching any and all shows having to do with NASCAR. I was so proud of myself by that time because I knew who pretty much all the drivers were and which car they belonged to. I also had favorites and some that I could not stand. Naturally those favorites and the "hated" ones have changed over the years but I still love Schrader.

I discovered a show called "Inside the Winston Cup" which of course is now "Inside the Nextel Cup" when I was watching any and all shows pertaining to NASCAR. I loved the camaraderie between the drivers and the host so much that it became a must watch TV event every week.

My friends and family soon became aware of my new passion. They knew if they tried to call me when a race was on, they would reach the answering machine. My best friend would come visit me over the weekends and she had to endure me watching the race. Soon she began asking questions about the drivers and the next thing I knew she would call me with questions about what was going on during a race. My husband would shake his head and laugh as he heard us talk endlessly about NASCAR.

My husband and I dreamed of one day actually watching a race in person. We were so lucky my friend began working at TMS and gave us tickets to our first race. The spring race 2006 at Texas Motor Speedway! I was so excited. The commercials were right, It's not just a race, It's a weekend event. At one point my husband told me to look around at "My people". I was so proud. We have never had so much fun. The experience was beyond words. We were then fortunate enough to attend the fall race there in 2006 and the spring race of 2007. We both have had the time of our lives at the weekend events of all those races. The fans are unbelievable. They are friendly and we all share the love of NASCAR even though we do not all root for the same drivers. What a sport!

Needless to say there is that horrible time when NASCAR takes a break. From mid Nov. to Feb. I suffer from NASCAR withdraw. It isn't pretty. My husband says P.M.S. is even better than my NASCAR withdraw. I'm sure all of you know what I'm talking about. I watch old recorded races from time to time to try to eliminate some of the suffering but it just isn't the same.

So now you know my story or journey to NASCAR. I hope ya'll have fun with the future articles from me and from my best friend TMS#16 who shares my passion for NASCAR.
"Everyone's invited to the Barn for bologna burgers next Saturday night"

Scott

• Administrator
  • Driver
    • View Profile
    • ScottSpain.com
Re: Signspotter#19's NASCAR journey
« Reply #1 on: April 23, 2007, 03:06:35 AM »
First, I want to start by saying that I am not a writer...

Well, you are now! Congrats on a great intro, and thank you!
- Scott Spain

CodeBlueEMT

« Reply #2 on: April 23, 2007, 10:56:41 AM »
 Great post. Makes me glad that my wife enjoys NASCAR too.

Shayne

Quack

• Administrator
  • Driver
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 23, 2007, 03:47:28 PM »
First, I want to start by saying that I am not a writer.

Not a writer?  Found a ghost writer then, ehh?  Awesome post!

I was so proud of myself by that time because I knew who pretty much all the drivers were and which car they belonged to.

And, I must say, I will never forget the day when we were shooting the breeze about NASCAR and something was said about favorite quotes.  I began one quote, and you not only finished it, but knew who said it, and about whom.  I was quite impressed; that was the moment when I knew that I was talking to a real NASCAR fan!  Proud to call you a friend that just happens to be a neighbor!  And I'm damn glad I have a neighbor that loves NASCAR at least as much as I do!

Texas16

• Driver
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 23, 2007, 08:02:07 PM »
Yeah, but who could forget so awesome a quote as "Got run over by a bug-eyed dummy, I guess" by Sterling Marlin about Greg Biffle at Watkins Glen 2004.  But did you know that at California-I the next season, Sterling Marlin said of Greg Biffle, "Looks like the bug-eyed dummy can drive."?
Bug-Eyed Dummy can drive.

johnnybravo40

• Tire Changer
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 24, 2007, 01:19:08 PM »
Yeah, but who could forget so awesome a quote as "Got run over by a bug-eyed dummy, I guess" by Sterling Marlin about Greg Biffle at Watkins Glen 2004.  But did you know that at California-I the next season, Sterling Marlin said of Greg Biffle, "Looks like the bug-eyed dummy can drive."?

Sterling in his prime. 40 car just isnt the same without him.....