Author Topic: What if......  (Read 3482 times)

Signspotter#19

• Driver
    • View Profile
What if......
« on: May 04, 2007, 08:06:28 PM »
Let me start by saying that I am in no way suggesting NASCAR should change to these rules. This is simply a “what if…”.

We all know the gas prices are rising. We also know that NASCAR is always looking for ways to decrease the cost of running a car or a team in this sport. After reading an article in MAD magazine, I decided to take their idea and run with it. This is how it would go.

Owners with 4 or 5 teams would have 2 cars. Owners with 3 or 2 teams would have 1 car. One-car teams would join with another one car team of the same manufacturer and have 1 car. For example, Roush would have 2 cars in a race, RCR would have one car in a race, and Robby Gordon would be in a car with Ken Schrader, (Schrader forgive me!) The cars would now be the new teams.

So now you’re probably wondering what to do with the drivers since there are more of them than cars. Not to worry, they all will get to drive in the race. Cars would be modified with 2 and 3 seats. 5 and 3 driver teams would have 3 seats and the 2 and 4 driver teams would have 2 seats. For instance, Kenseth, Biffle, and Edwards would be in one car. Ragan and McMurray would be in the other car. This would be Roush’s team. RCR’s team would consist of Burton, Harvick, and Bowyer in a car. Robert Yates Racing would have Rudd and Gilliland in a car. Again, Schrader please forgive me, Schrader and R. Gordon would ride in a car and be a team.

To make it fair for the teams with 2 or 3 drivers, I have an idea to help even out the odds for them and it gives all drivers a chance to drive. When pitting, drivers will all change seats. Sort of like a Chinese fire drill. This is where I may confuse you. Sorry, but here goes. The team with five drivers will have the driver of the car with 3 seats go back to the car with 2 seats and sit in the passenger seat. The driver of the car with 2 seats will go to the car with 3 seats and sit in the back. Then of course, the drivers who were in the passenger seats will now be driving. The cars with 2 drivers and 2 cars such as Hendrick will also change cars as well as drivers. Of course 13,14, and 15 second pit stops would be a thing of the past. I hope none of the drivers trip over the hoses or runs into a pit crew member during the pit-stop. That would be funny though, if no one got hurt. These stops would be hysterical to watch!

The winning drivers will be in the car that crosses the start/finish line even if the drivers did not start out in that car. I realize this is a crew chiefs nightmare, but they are professionals and I think they can pull it off.

Track pass would probably double or triple their subscription because everyone would want to listen in on the in-car audio. I know I would. Could you imagine putting Rusty Wallace and Ryan Newman in the same car if they were still teammates? That would be pure entertainment.

Even though this was a purely a “what if”, I think it would be fun and definitely interesting!   
« Last Edit: May 04, 2007, 08:08:12 PM by Signspotter#19 »
"Everyone's invited to the Barn for bologna burgers next Saturday night"

Texas16

• Driver
    • View Profile
Re: What if......
« Reply #1 on: May 04, 2007, 08:10:18 PM »
And then if there wasn't confusion enough from this system, we could have half the field running clockwise and the other half of the field running counter-clockwise.  I guess this idea produces a whole new set of spotters.
Bug-Eyed Dummy can drive.

Scott

• Administrator
  • Driver
    • View Profile
    • ScottSpain.com
« Reply #2 on: May 05, 2007, 02:41:58 AM »
Or we could just ask them all to drive Prius'.
- Scott Spain

HERM

• Driver
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 05, 2007, 02:55:11 AM »
i like the idea of half the feild running backwards.  could make a whole new meaning to survivor.

Signspotter#19

• Driver
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 05, 2007, 11:53:39 PM »
i like the idea of half the feild running backwards.  could make a whole new meaning to survivor.

My nephew already does that when he plays my Nascar game. It's a riot to watch!
"Everyone's invited to the Barn for bologna burgers next Saturday night"

wendyrlfg

• Jackman
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 06, 2007, 10:29:04 PM »
You are out of your mind

HERM

• Driver
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 06, 2007, 10:32:12 PM »
You are out of your mind
um, well...it has been accused of me to be a lil short of a full deck.

wendyrlfg

• Jackman
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 08, 2007, 10:17:24 PM »
Good luck getting RGordan & Schrader to share a car  - we all have ideas

#1Jimmiefan

• Driver
    • View Profile
    • Myspace
« Reply #8 on: May 09, 2007, 10:12:58 PM »
Signspotter#19, you write the most interesting and hilarious posts! Keep them coming, man I am still wiping the tears from my eyes on this one I laughed so hard!!!

canuck speed freak

• Driver
  • G Stars Rule!
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 13, 2007, 12:05:49 PM »
Hilarious ::) ::)
You must first finish, to finish First. mfdiana.com
www.parksvillegenerals.org  VP and scorekeeper
www.focusfanatics.com proud member

luviank09

• Gas Man
    • View Profile
    • ukrain girl
What if
« Reply #10 on: December 23, 2009, 03:25:42 AM »
Maybe this is a little embarrassing but I'll admit I basically lost track of Man after The Welsh Connection. I've continued to listen to the early stuff over all these years but I know little about anything that was done once they got back together. What would you most recommend? I'm particularly keen to know about anything featuring Mickey and/or Deke. How about the even more recent material? Please let me know. Thanks.