Author Topic: Let's Go Shopping  (Read 18128 times)

Texas16

• Driver
    • View Profile
Let's Go Shopping
« on: April 25, 2007, 10:38:53 PM »
I drive a Ford and fill it with Shell gasoline.  My telephone is a Motorola and my wireless carrier is Cingular.  I eat Subway sandwiches and wash them down with Diet Coke. All of my home improvement products come from The Home Depot. UPS handles my shipping needs. Kraft Mac-n-Cheese is my bad-day-comfort-food. And I’m sure that if I had a need for butt paste, I’d buy Boudreaux’s Butt Paste.

NASCAR fans are reported to be one of the most brand-loyal commercial sports market out there, and the ladies of NASCAR are no exception.  Do I make a conscious effort to buy NASCAR sponsoring brands?  Absolutely, yes.  I recently read that more than 50% of women fans are brand-loyal to their favorite drivers’ products.  And the sponsors know that.

Aside from the three crazed women chasing Kasey Kahne in the All State commercials, many of the ads seem to this non-advertising-professional’s eye to be geared to women.  Think about Jeff Burton’s State Farm ad—“We’re not going anywhere until our seat belts are fastened”.  Two young children in a mini-van and a female spokesperson?  The message seems directed straight at Mrs NASCAR-Watching Soccer Mom.  Even Junior’s “Crazy mutant desert guys” ad, like so many others, is fairly gender neutral despite an apparently all-male contingent of mutant desert guys.

Don’t think for a minute, however, that I’ll buy a Ford just because Greg Biffle drives a Ford.  I will buy a Ford—or a Chevy or a Dodge or a Hyundai—because I’m also an intelligent and savvy consumer.  I won’t be blindly led to buy something that isn’t exactly what I want just because Jeff Gordon says I should.  Despite Tony Stewart’s endorsement, I’m not going to buy Banquet pot pies because they’ve got at least two days’ worth of fat, sodium and calories in each one of them and have very little nutritive value.  If I were going to buy a pot pie, however, I’d probably choose Banquet over another brand if the price difference weren’t too great.

And that leads me to my soap-box point:  Wal-Mart. 

I’ve quit shopping at Wal-Mart as much as possible and now go to Target.  To the best of my knowledge, Wal-Mart does not currently sponsor any race team.  Yey they’re more than willing to sell racks and racks of shirts, hats, lounge pants, boxers, throw blankets, Valentine candy, pillows, clocks, candles, poster, notebooks (the list is endless so I’ll stop now) with driver images and endorsements all over them.  In other words, without having to contribute anything to the sport in terms of voluntary sponsorship, Wal-Mart is more than willing to reap the benefits of millions of NASCAR fans buying merchandise in their stores all across the nation.  Target, on the other hand, not only benefits from the buying power of NASCAR fans, but they also put those resources back into the sport in the form of sponsorship of the #41 car for Reed Sorenson and Chip Ganassi/Felix Sabates.  Additionally, they also are a major sponsor of Ganassi’s IRL race teams.  There’s no give and take with Wal-Mart, only take, so until I’ve heard that Wal-Mart is going to support NASCAR in ways other than just carrying NASCAR merchandise, I’ll continue to shop at Target.
-
Anyone wanna go shopping now?
Bug-Eyed Dummy can drive.

CodeBlueEMT

Re: Let's Go Shopping
« Reply #1 on: April 26, 2007, 11:54:07 AM »
 In my Rain Man voice, "Wal*Mart SUCKS" ;D

Shayne

Scott

• Administrator
  • Driver
    • View Profile
    • ScottSpain.com
« Reply #2 on: April 26, 2007, 01:27:53 PM »

Not at Wal-Mart. For reasons different from yours, I will never shop there. Sam Walton was a great man that ran an ethical company. His kids are just plain greedy, and I refuse to support them.
- Scott Spain

WSF

• Driver
  • 2013 Yahoo Fantasy Racing Champion!!!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 26, 2007, 08:10:24 PM »
I shop more at Target then Wal-mart , only because Target is closer. I have no problem shopping anywere. Just because the stores sell nascar  merchandise doesn't make me want to buy any. Believe me I love Nascar, i just don't jump and buy any products that i see on TV because my favorite driver selling it.
The Seattle Seahawks are SuperBowl Champions!!!!!

SD90MATT

• Tire Changer
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 28, 2007, 12:07:39 PM »
When the Busch Series possibly becomes the Wal-Mart Series next year, will you support them then?
I personally don't care for Wally-World but we go there out of convenience & finnancial reasons.

Matt
One's That Are Cold

Signholder

• Administrator
  • Driver
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 28, 2007, 12:37:49 PM »
I think we all need to make an effort when when possible, support those that support the sport we love.      Don't feel guilty when you don't. In my case, there is a Target just past the K-Mart and before the Wal-Mart. If I know Target has what I need, and it's at a competetive price (a little higher or a little lower) I chose Target to support them.
As for W-World hooking up with the Busch series, that would be great!!! That would help all of us feel a little less guilty.
Heeeer's yur sign!!!

#1Jimmiefan

• Driver
    • View Profile
    • Myspace
« Reply #6 on: April 28, 2007, 02:57:54 PM »

Not at Wal-Mart. For reasons different from yours, I will never shop there. Sam Walton was a great man that ran an ethical company. His kids are just plain greedy, and I refuse to support them.

AMEN! Since Mr. Walton passed, the quality of product plummeted and the prices have raised. Heck, I hate shopping all together BUT if I have to get clothes, I can almost always find a sale at the mall with better quality AND prices than the crap and Wal-Mart.

Signspotter#19

• Driver
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 28, 2007, 03:59:09 PM »
I had not heard that Wally world might sponser the Busch series!
"Everyone's invited to the Barn for bologna burgers next Saturday night"

Texas16

• Driver
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 29, 2007, 12:22:14 PM »
Among the potential sponsors mentioned on Jayski.com for the Busch series beginning in '08 are Samsung, WalMart and Subway.  Personally I'm voting for Subway unless there's some way I could eat more sandwiches and convince them to go back to the #16 car as primary sponsor tho' Samsung might be a good choice, too.
Bug-Eyed Dummy can drive.

SD90MATT

• Tire Changer
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 29, 2007, 09:53:51 PM »
I guess since Subway is owned by WalMart it's kinda one in the same.

Matt
One's That Are Cold

Signholder

• Administrator
  • Driver
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 29, 2007, 09:56:01 PM »
SD90MATT, Are you sure about Wal-Mart owning Subway?
Heeeer's yur sign!!!

SD90MATT

• Tire Changer
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 29, 2007, 10:01:53 PM »
'Twas what I gleened when WalMart booted McDonalds from their store here & brought in Subway. Not 100% sure, as I haven't scoured the web on that, but pretty sure from what I've learned. Please correct me if I'm wrong.

Matt
One's That Are Cold

SD90MATT

• Tire Changer
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 29, 2007, 10:29:04 PM »
OK, got it straight now. WalMart owns the "RIGHTS" to operate the  900+ stores that operate within the hallowed walls of WalMart. Still, it's gonna be weird calling it the WalMart or SubWay or whatever Series. "Hey, did you catch the WalMart race yesterday?"

My Bad,

Matt
One's That Are Cold

Quack

• Administrator
  • Driver
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 29, 2007, 10:29:35 PM »
I'm curious as well.  I can find nothing that indicates that Doctor's Associates has sold Subway to Walmart, nor anything that indicates that Walmart bought Doctor's Associates.  Please post if you find something.  :)

Signholder

• Administrator
  • Driver
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: April 29, 2007, 10:45:45 PM »
OK, got it straight now. WalMart owns the "RIGHTS" to operate the  900+ stores that operate within the hallowed walls of WalMart. Still, it's gonna be weird calling it the WalMart or SubWay or whatever Series. "Hey, did you catch the WalMart race yesterday?"

My Bad,

Matt
900+ Subways in Wal-Marts. That's impressive. Could be the makings of a long lasting relationship/partnership.
I agree with you though, "The Wal-Mart Race" sounds like what you do trying to find a parking place on saturday afternoon.
Heeeer's yur sign!!!

wendyrlfg

• Jackman
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: April 30, 2007, 08:06:58 PM »
I am a long time racing fan & unfortunaly now a soccor mom - I do feel that the advertisers & our government are trying to brain wash us all with the ad's - I hate Walmart & to think they would be involved in Nascar makes me as sick as the Macy's day parade be coming the Walmart day parade I don't buy products because I see it on a car - I try things on sale & if I like it I'll buy again - If I don't buy things on sale I can't afford to go to the race - although with the cost gas gas & tickets my race schedule has gone from at least 6 a year to probably 1 - I'm going to NHRA this year it's not as political

Signspotter#19

• Driver
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: May 02, 2007, 02:41:39 PM »
Our WalMart still has McDonalds in it. I feel cheated. I like Subway.
"Everyone's invited to the Barn for bologna burgers next Saturday night"

HERM

• Driver
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: May 05, 2007, 02:59:17 AM »
got a problem here ya'll.  all we got in lil ole rink dink georgia is a walmart.  no choices.  what do i do??  asking anyone listening
« Last Edit: May 05, 2007, 09:43:53 PM by herm »

#1Jimmiefan

• Driver
    • View Profile
    • Myspace
« Reply #18 on: May 05, 2007, 09:10:25 PM »
Our WalMart still has McDonalds in it. I feel cheated. I like Subway.

Me too!

Scott

• Administrator
  • Driver
    • View Profile
    • ScottSpain.com
« Reply #19 on: May 10, 2007, 03:41:55 AM »
I'm the last guy in the world to stick up for The Evil Empire (Wal-Mart), but is Target doing NASCAR (or the driver they sponsor) a favor by "supporting the sport"? I'd be willing to bet that it's not a favor at all, but an investment with a healthy ROI.
- Scott Spain