Author Topic: The Ladies of NASCAR  (Read 4340 times)

Texas16

• Driver
    • View Profile
The Ladies of NASCAR
« on: April 22, 2007, 11:33:01 PM »
Okay, here’s a riddle for you.  What’s soft and curvy, sometimes orange, sometimes red, sometimes black, sometimes blue, always passionate, and equals nearly 35 million?  Give up?  The answer is The Female Fans of NASCAR.

In 2004, USA Today reported that nearly half of NASCAR’s 75 million fans were women.  According to the same report, the fastest growing NASCAR fan demographic is women aged 18 to 34 years old, a segment of the sport’s fanbase that is calculated to double in just a handful of years.  If these statistics seem outlandish, go buy a ticket to the next NASCAR race and you’ll see ample evidence of their validity throughout the entire weekend.

So why are women so attracted to a sport in which females play an almost non-existent role as competitors, and are visible only as token members of diversity programs, or as personal assistants and “significant others” to drivers and team members?  What’s so interesting to women that we make up half of the fanbase of this male-dominated sport?  I wish I had the resources to contract Nielsen Media or another professional polling organization to provide the answers to those questions, but I fear even the pros would get as many different answers as the number of women they’d poll.  Sadly, I can only speculate on why other women love NASCAR, but I can offer you concrete reasons why I count myself among the 35 million strong sisterhood of NASCAR fans.

Wait!  I’m stuck.  I can’t name a single reason unique to women that would account for my being a fan of NASCAR.  The only things that come to mind are reasons why we’re all fans, regardless of gender, age, ethnicity, education, profession, regionality, etc. 

I love watching the on-track battles between the drivers.  I love anticipating what’s going to happen when Tony Stewart and Carl Edwards are racing each other for position.  I love seeing how small of a gap Kevin Harvick can make his car fit through.  I love the roar of the engines.  I love being caught up in cheers of the crowd screaming as Kenseth and Jeff Burton battle for the lead as they make their way down the backstretch on the last lap of the race.  I love the excitement and adrenaline of the fans.  I love watching my friend screaming at the TV for Sadler to go! Go! GO!  I love the camaraderie at work, being razzed on Mondays by my staff because my driver finished only 17th on Sunday.

See, not one of those reasons is distinctly female.  So, despite the fact that I’m one of the soft, curvy 35 million fans of NASCAR, I haven’t a clue as to what female-specific reason I have for being a fan of NASCAR.  Unless possibly it’s because Tony Stewart has the sexiest lips in the entire sports world. 
Bug-Eyed Dummy can drive.

#1Jimmiefan

• Driver
    • View Profile
    • Myspace
Re: The Ladies of NASCAR
« Reply #1 on: April 22, 2007, 11:36:00 PM »
That is a fantastic article! Thank you for posting it!

Scott

• Administrator
  • Driver
    • View Profile
    • ScottSpain.com
« Reply #2 on: April 22, 2007, 11:47:49 PM »
Wow. Kudos! Great work. I look forward to reading more!
- Scott Spain

Quack

• Administrator
  • Driver
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 23, 2007, 03:40:48 PM »
I love the soft, curvy side of NASCAR.  What more could a guy ask for?  Great article!  Keep 'em coming!

Lynn

• Jackman
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 30, 2007, 08:22:15 PM »
See, not one of those reasons is distinctly female.  So, despite the fact that I’m one of the soft, curvy 35 million fans of NASCAR, I haven’t a clue as to what female-specific reason I have for being a fan of NASCAR.  Unless possibly it’s because Tony Stewart has the sexiest lips in the entire sports world

I'll agree with that one!  Not the only reason, but it sure helps!
Go Smoke Go!

Slippy Dean

• Jackman
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 02, 2007, 12:31:43 AM »
I like soft and curvy, and Nascar ,,,Whats not to like

HERM

• Driver
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 05, 2007, 03:00:46 AM »
again, just my 2 cents...women like bad boys...

#1Jimmiefan

• Driver
    • View Profile
    • Myspace
« Reply #7 on: May 05, 2007, 09:06:44 PM »
We sure seem too...at least to "play" with but in REAL life, not so much - at least not me.

wendyrlfg

• Jackman
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 14, 2007, 11:16:58 PM »
I am soft & curvey but don't go to races because I am - I go because I like the sound of the engines.the smell of the fuel(in the old days) the opening ceramonies -The idea that I am at the races & don't have to impress anyone but me - I think makeup & anything fake should not be allowed at the Track - all it does is smear down their faces anyway - I now feel bad for the women in pit road who have a tv camera on them -I now enjoy sitting in stands and being a real women race fan - Hats off to the real woman of Nascar  Has anyone seen Linda Petty's Doll colection at their musemum in Randelman - it is amazing

#1Jimmiefan

• Driver
    • View Profile
    • Myspace
« Reply #9 on: May 15, 2007, 09:43:40 PM »
Every April and November while at TMS, I laugh my fanny off at all the "prissy" girls in the restroom doing their make-up, blow dry and curl their hair, etc. I don't get it, I don't tend to do most of that stuff anyway but at the races? Are they hoping to meet a driver? Someone with money? What? Most of the guys I know (and have met at the races) do not go to the races and look for a woman. They go for the commraderie (sp?) in the camping areas and the race. Period.

HERM

• Driver
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 16, 2007, 09:37:07 AM »
Every April and November while at TMS, I laugh my fanny off at all the "prissy" girls in the restroom doing their make-up, blow dry and curl their hair, etc. I don't get it, I don't tend to do most of that stuff anyway but at the races? Are they hoping to meet a driver? Someone with money? What? Most of the guys I know (and have met at the races) do not go to the races and look for a woman. They go for the commraderie (sp?) in the camping areas and the race. Period.
down here in gawegia, we have a name for them looking for a man at the race...we call them peach pits.  no idea why.

#1Jimmiefan

• Driver
    • View Profile
    • Myspace
« Reply #11 on: May 18, 2007, 12:26:41 AM »
down here in gawegia, we have a name for them looking for a man at the race...we call them peach pits.  no idea why.
Hmmmm...kinda like the "lot lizards" you see at truck stops I suppose. Only difference is the "peach pits" are looking to land a man with $$$, not just a quick $20. :)

HERM

• Driver
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 18, 2007, 11:50:26 AM »
Hmmmm...kinda like the "lot lizards" you see at truck stops I suppose. Only difference is the "peach pits" are looking to land a man with $$$, not just a quick $20. :)
at the local tracks where i see them, they ain't gonna get $$$$.  we all broke a$$ racers.  i have also heard 'pit lizard'.

#1Jimmiefan

• Driver
    • View Profile
    • Myspace
« Reply #13 on: May 21, 2007, 12:32:52 AM »
at the local tracks where i see them, they ain't gonna get $$$$.  we all broke a$$ racers.  i have also heard 'pit lizard'.

Maybe the don't realize you aren't loaded or they are hoping some locals will make it big and take them away.. ;)

HERM

• Driver
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: May 21, 2007, 11:52:59 AM »
Maybe the don't realize you aren't loaded or they are hoping some locals will make it big and take them away.. ;)
  i am unsure what they are hoping for but i do know my ribs get alot injuries due to them than due to wrecks.  (wife has very pointed elbows)

#1Jimmiefan

• Driver
    • View Profile
    • Myspace
« Reply #15 on: May 21, 2007, 09:59:41 PM »
  i am unsure what they are hoping for but i do know my ribs get alot injuries due to them than due to wrecks.  (wife has very pointed elbows)

LMAO!!!! You gotta watch out for us wives!  :D