Author Topic: Worse than the dentist  (Read 2080 times)

Texas16

• Driver
    • View Profile
Worse than the dentist
« on: November 09, 2007, 10:27:28 PM »
How many of y'all start days before a dentist appointment dreading the visit?  That's how I am with the off-season:  I'm already getting grumpy about its approach.  So this year, I'm going to make a list of all the things I can do during those two months that will take my mind off of the ensuing misery.
-
First of all there's Christmas shopping.  Do you know that there are only something like 43 days left before Christmas?  Since I usually wait 'til the last minute to buy gifts, that's 1 day out of the off-season NASCAR withdrawl misery that's taken care of.  And then of course there's Christmas Eve and Christmas Day, so that makes a total of three days so far.
-
Next, there's Thanksgiving (US) and the day-after-Thanksgiving shopping day.  That's another two days.  New Year's Eve and New Year's Day make up another two days, so I'm up to seven days so far that'll keep my mind off of missing NASCAR.  Shall we add Boxing Day for all y'all who observe that holiday?  For the rest of us, we'll just sit back and think about what the heck Boxing Day is anyway.  That's good for another not-missing-NASCAR day. 
Since I suspect some of us will resort to the bottle/can/stein on Sundays just out of habit and we may get carried away, let's estimate in there about 5 Mondays on which we're concentrating more on our hangovers than on missing NASCAR.  Just off the top of my head, I think we're looking at about 7 or 8 Saturdays of college football left this season (Go TTU Red Raiders!) but since I don't watch a lot of college football this doesn't help me a lot.  Ditto the NFL.  I'll start watching the NFL once we get into post-season play (Cowboys!) but 'til then, bleh!
-
Personally, I'm going to plan a little vacation into my schedule during the off-season so I can actually use up some of the comp days I've accumulated over the year.  Florida, here I come! (maybe)
-
So I'm up to, what?, 10 days or so of the off-season with something to keep my mind off the withdrawls?  This isn't going well at all. 
-
Anyone up for a trip to Chili Bowl?  We could all party down in Tulsa, Oklahoma!
-
Don't even try to deny that each and every one of you true NASCARdiacs tune in at some point to see how things are going at the 24 Hours of Daytona just to get your first fix of the year of seeing familiar names slide across the top of your TV screen.  Sure, there's some strange stuff mixed in there, like, why are there three races going on simultaneously?  Who's this Papis guy?  And this Angelelli guy?  Why is there someone with an English-sounding accent acting as the commentator?  What's with the headlights?  (No, Dorothy, we're not in Kansas anymore.)
-
If it weren't for some really crappy NASCAR testing policies, I might be able to console myself with an occasional test or two but even that's denied me except when some IRL team decides to try out a rookie and they hoof it south to escape the snow.
-
Oh, lordy, the dentist is sounding better than the off-season every minute.
Bug-Eyed Dummy can drive.

Signspotter#19

• Driver
    • View Profile
Re: Worse than the dentist
« Reply #1 on: November 11, 2007, 03:07:08 PM »
My off season will be spent trying to get my house in order. How depressing is that! :-\
"Everyone's invited to the Barn for bologna burgers next Saturday night"

caboolarue

« Reply #2 on: November 11, 2007, 03:38:25 PM »
My off season will be spent trying to get my house in order. How depressing is that! :-\
Funny, Mine started today.  I usualy put up the Christmas tree on Opening day of Deer Season, 22 year tradition with Mr. Cab and I.  Usualy Mr. Cab goes hunting and it just gives me time alone to get it done, with the kids.  That way Mr. Cab doesn't loose patients with the Kids.  But, the last few years, since his health has gone down hill, he has not gone hunting.  The boys went hunting and Daughter Cab is at work, So, that just leaves me to getter done.

Our lives are changing in the Cab Household it's kinda  :'(

I would ask for Grandbabies, but, K-Son is on Birthcontrol, it's called:  Z-man and Daugher Cab  ;D
So, I just go around barrowing Sister Cab's grandbabies.

zebmonkey

• Driver
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 21, 2008, 08:07:38 PM »
I had a bunch of stuff on tape or DVD that is NASCAR related so i had plenty to watch. I also have Larry Mac's "The Big Picture"; Buddy Baker's "Flat out and Half Turned Over" ;  Peter Goldenbock's "NASCAR Confidential" and Donnie Allison's "As I recall"
yes, i'm a MWR fan.