Author Topic: Texas Motor Speedway: Home of the NASCARDIAC Sign  (Read 2948 times)

Quack

• Administrator
  • Driver
    • View Profile
Texas Motor Speedway: Home of the NASCARDIAC Sign
« on: November 02, 2007, 01:34:29 PM »
This weekend the NASCAR Cup Series tour heads back to Texas Motor Speedway.  TMS is the Official Home of the NASCARDIAC Sign(s).  Look for them on Trackside (Friday, 7:30PM Eastern - SPEED) and again on Race Day (Sunday, 1:30PM Eastern - SPEED).  We're busting out the original sign, as well as a brand new one.  See if you can spot them behind the SPEED Stage!  :)

Oh yeah, by the way, there is also a race on Sunday!  Imagine that?!  There are too many story lines to follow this weekend, but the main one is: will Brian France steal yet another Cup Championship from its rightful owner?  Here are the *real* driver point standings (through 33 of 36 races):

PosDriver
1Jeff Gordon
Leader
2Jimmie Johnson
3Tony Stewart
4Carl Edwards
5Clint Bowyer
6Denny Hamlin
7Matt Kenseth
8Kyle Busch
9Jeff Burton
10Kevin Harvick
11Kurt Busch
12Martin Truex, Jr.

Brian's attempt at gaining TV viewers' interest has failed yet again this year; even more miserably than in the first 3 years of "The Chase".  Brian, please, I beg you, get rid of "The Chase".  The driver that scores the most points throughout the entire season should be the champion.  If you want to make winning more important, then make the number of points scored for a win so much greater than for 2nd place that guys want to win.  Stop making a mockery of the sport!!

Who to Watch
Who? #83, Brian Vickers
Why? If he makes the race, look for another solid finish from Vickers.  Last week, at the similarly configured Atlanta Motor Speedway, Vickers posted his 5th Top 10 in only 20 starts this season.  While 5 out of 20 isn't really anything to write home to Mom about, consider this: The other Toyota drivers have combined for a grand total of 6 Top 10s in 123 starts.  That's a Top 10:Start ratio of 1:4 for Vickers vs. 1:20.5 for the rest of the Toyota camp.  There's no question that in 2007, Brian Vickers has been the #1 Toyota driver on race day.

Who? #5, Kyle Busch
Why? His crew cost him the race last week at AMS.  Will he forgive and run up front again this weekend?  Or will he crash out at Texas once again, and then leave his team high and dry like he did back in April?  If this kid ever matures, he will rewrite the record books.  He's only 22; he's got a little bit of time.

Who? #8, Dale Earnhardt, Jr.
Why? What's going to break this weekend?  An engine?  A hub?  A wheel?  It's hard to imagine anyone looking more forward to 2008 than Dale Jr.  If his car holds together, can he become only the second repeat winner in Texas Motor Speedway history, following Jeff Burton's accomplishment of the feat this past Spring?

Who? #07, Clint Bowyer
Why? Clint just might be making a run for taking over the "Man in Black" title.  The dood has been unbelievably consistent this year, with an average finish of 13.0 for the season, and a paltry 6.0 in the last seven races.  The last time the boys came to Texas to play, Bowyer turned in a 16th place performance.  I look for him to improve on that by quite a few positions.

Who? #42, Juan Pablo Montoya
Why? In his first trip to Texas Motor Speedway, JPM wound up 8th on the day.  Can he do it again?  Montoya has already proven he can last 500 miles at Texas; can he better his result?

Who? #41, Reed Sorenson
Why? On the heels of his career best finish last week at Atlanta (3rd), Reed comes to Texas on a little bit of a roll.  Texas Motor Speedway has not been very kind to the young man, but he has performed well this year in 5 races hosted at the three similarly shaped mile-and-a-half tracks (Atlanta, Charlotte, Texas), posting 2 Top 5s and 3 Top 10s.  Besides, this is the same team that should have won the fall race at TMS in 2005 (with Casey Mears behind the wheel - they ended up 4th).  If not for an unbelievably phantom caution, even by NASCAR standards, the Chip Ganassi #41 Target Dodge would have been in Victory Lane that day.

Who's Going to Win
It is no secret that the best two cars on the track these days are the #48 piloted by Jimmie Johnson and the #24 of Jeff Gordon.  Neither have won at Texas Motor Speedway - yet.  But TMS is a track that has seen only one repeat winner in its thirteen races.  Odds are pretty good that a former winner at the track will *not* be the one wearing the 10-gallon hat and firing the Texas Shooters again this weekend.  As a matter of fact, the odds are pretty good that one of the two Hendrick Motorsports drivers will be the last man standing when the checkers fall this weekend.  After all, between the two of them, they have won the last four Cup races, and 14 out of 33 contested thus far in 2007.

Since 2002, Jimmie Johnson has an average finish of 10.25 at Texas.  In the same time span, Jeff Gordon has an average finish of 9th.  In the last 3 Texas races, Johnson's average finish is 17.0, while Gordon's is 11.7.

I'm picking Hendrick Motorsports to win this weekend.  Which driver?  I dunno.  But whichever one does win, the other is sure to be very close behind.

Happy racing.
« Last Edit: November 02, 2007, 01:39:04 PM by Quack »

Quack

• Administrator
  • Driver
    • View Profile
Re: Texas Motor Speedway: Home of the NASCARDIAC Sign
« Reply #1 on: November 02, 2007, 08:14:12 PM »
Starting Positions:

Vickers: 22
Shrub:   17
Junior:   12
Bowyer: 29
JPM:       3
Reed:    31
Gordon:   2
Johnson:  8

Be sure to keep an eye on Vickers and Montoya.

HERM

• Driver
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 02, 2007, 11:22:25 PM »
Starting Positions:

Vickers: 22
Shrub:   17
Junior:   12
Bowyer: 29
JPM:       3
Reed:    31
Gordon:   2
Johnson:  8

Be sure to keep an eye on Vickers and Montoya.

crap.  should have read this before i made my picks.  i agreed with you way too much

robbybee

• Driver
  • Rustin in Tustin, indeed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 28, 2007, 05:01:39 PM »
Hiya, Kidz!

Just joined today so SHEEEEEEIT HOWWWWWWWDEE, Y'ALL!!

I saw the NASCARDIAC.COM sign during the Texas Broadcast and wrote it down for future reference and that future has now arrived!

I was planning on making the trip from OC (California) for the November Race but at the last minute my buddy and I had to cancel. That being said, plans are in the works to be there next April fo-sho!

I have a friend who lives in Flower Mound. He comes out to my place each year for the Long Beach Grand Prix and I go to Tejas for the NASCAR racin. Unfortunately, the LBGP has been on the same weekend as the TX race for the last two (maybe three) years so my buddy has come out here - meaning that I don't get to hang with all of my friends in the infield (near the exit of Turn Two) - and I love the infield at TMS. What a great facility!

Anyway, I have been a NASCAR fan for too many years to mention and I still love it! I am looking forward to having some fun on this site?

Bye for now, robbybee
SPIT!

Quack

• Administrator
  • Driver
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 28, 2007, 05:54:07 PM »
Glad to have ya with us robby!  There are a few NASCARDIACers that go to TMS each race.  :)

#1Jimmiefan

• Driver
    • View Profile
    • Myspace
« Reply #5 on: November 28, 2007, 09:17:48 PM »
Welcome Robby! Glad you joined us. I am at each TMS race so closer to April we can possibly make plans to meet up with s few other members!

ValiHessweire

• Gas Man
    • View Profile
Texas Motor Speedway Home of the NASCARDIAC Sign
« Reply #6 on: December 19, 2009, 07:22:36 PM »
I just got back from Fontana Speedway Track Day organized by Fastrackriders.
This is the first time I participate in an event organized by Fastrackriders. I have to say that it was very well orchestrated.
This is the first time at Fontana Speedway also. What a track  Here is a pic.