Author Topic: Race Day Minus 9 - The Long Campground  (Read 1815 times)

Texas16

• Driver
    • View Profile
Race Day Minus 9 - The Long Campground
« on: October 24, 2007, 10:57:53 PM »
The flags are up, my favorite raceday preparation.  This sounds like a small thing, but there are literally hundreds of flagpoles around the track, so it's a time consuming process that always adds a colorful touch to the property.  When those go up, I know that racing is about to happen. They were setting up the framework for the jumbotrons on the frontstretch this evening as we were having a track-wide pre-event meeting in the press box overlooking the frontstretch.  One of the army of precision landscapers was mowing stripes in the frontstretch grass as we were meeting.  The retaining walls have been painted and the lanes on the track and pit road have all been restriped.
-
What I call "The Long Campground" has begun forming.  Reserved camping opens this coming Saturday.  If you've got reserved camping, you can come in and lset up your RV.  Unreserved camping is first-come-first-choice, and it won't open until the middle of next week I think.  And yet, the campers are already lining up along the outer ring road.  The outer ring road runs along the perimeter of the property and is about 5 miles around from what I hear.  It's a 4-lanes road with a pretty wide shoulder on each side.  Campers come in days before unreserved camping is open and park along the edge of this road turning the right lane and the shoulder into a campground that's 15 feet wide and 3 miles long.  I've driven by there a couple times and counted as many as 150 RV's in line.  Folks have their lawn chairs, BBQ grills and favorite driver flag set up having a great time in the Long Campground.  I can see the tail end of the Long Campground from my office so I'm guessing that there are probably about 35 RV's lined up already and more arriving each day.  I dream that someday I'll be in a position to be able to take my place in this line.  You can't beat the neighbors or the view.
-
All of the track employees seem to be carrying notebooks with them and a phone stuck to their ear.  I know I've got mine and heaven help me if I lose either one.  Everyone has a look to them that says "I've got five phone calls to return, twelve things that I need to do before lunch" and at the same time everyone's cheerful and helpful.  "Need a hand unloading several pallets from a truck?  Heck, I'm waiting on a couple couple calls, let me get the other forklift and I'll lend a hand and we'll get them off a lot quicker."
-
'Til next time....

Bug-Eyed Dummy can drive.

#1Jimmiefan

• Driver
    • View Profile
    • Myspace
Re: Race Day Minus 9 - The Long Campground
« Reply #1 on: October 25, 2007, 07:51:14 PM »
You are making me want to be there now! I miss the days of the reserved camping in the 5th wheel. It was my father-in-laws and since he didn't use it often (1-2 times a year and then we used it twice a year - April and November) he went and sold it. :'(

Signholder

• Administrator
  • Driver
    • View Profile
Re: Race Day Minus 9 - The Long Campground
« Reply #2 on: October 28, 2007, 03:13:49 PM »
Sounds exciting.
Heeeer's yur sign!!!