Author Topic: Race Day Minus 10  (Read 1631 times)

Texas16

• Driver
    • View Profile
Race Day Minus 10
« on: October 23, 2007, 11:00:57 AM »
When I posted "NASCAR's Coming To Town", I envisioned doing periodic updates as to what's happening at the track in preparation for a big NASCAR race weekend.  Naturally, I can speak authoritatively for happenings at only one track so mine might be a unique experience but probably not.
-
We now have 10 days left until the first day of actual racing at the track, the CTS series on Friday night November 2nd.
-
Weather has messed with things for the last two NASCAR weekends at the track.  A year ago, Friday was very, very windy and cool.  Saturday turned downright cold.  It warmed up on Sunday but rained all morning, cleared just in time to get in the full race then dumped on us for hours after the race.  In the springtime this year, it seemed as if spring was going to be very mild.  Pleasant 70 temperatures for several days, then on the Saturday preceding the race--when all of the concession and souvenir workers come in to set up displays--it snowed!  The next day, temperatures were in the 80's.  Friday of race weekend was warm but we had severe weather with tornadoes in the area much of the evening, hail, rain, lightning & thunder, all of which caused us to cancel our Friday evenings events plus Qualifying.  Saturday was clear but cold.  Sunday dawned clear, bright and warm and gave us a beautiful day of racing.  This fall, we've been having unseasonably warm weather.  Cities in the area are breaking records for highs in the 90's.  Then, BAM! it turned cold over night with highs in the 50's yesterday.  I went from wearing shorts and t-shirts one day to long-johns, pants, sweatshirt and a jacket the next.  Guess this is one of the reasons Jeff Hammond called Texas a crew chief's nightmare.  It doesn't matter how you set your car up on Friday; the weather on Sunday will change.
-
The Nextel Sprint trucks showed up yesterday afternoon to start setting up the wireless communications network for all of those cool Nextel gadgets and other wireless contraptions that are used during race week.  I noticed on my way in this morning that the campground areas are now green with white polka dots all over--bright, white trash barrels everywhere.  Sprinkled among the white trash barrels are banks of those blue porta-johns I mentioned in my last post.  And yes, many of them are laying on their sides from the weekend's strong winds.
-
I saw a couple of beer and soft-drink trucks parked near the concessions warehouse, and a string of FedEx, UPS, Conway, Central, etc trucks outside the souvenir warehouse with forklifts buzzing about them like bees around a hive.  And at the dirt track where we just hosted an event on the weekend, it looks like it hasn't been used in months.  Everything's been cleaned up and cleared away, the track's been plowed back to its original configuration (as much as possible), all of the CORR haulers and coaches are gone.  There's just a fine coat of dust and dirt all over everything as a reminder of the awesome off-road dirt racing that went on there just 2 days ago.
-
'Til next time...
Bug-Eyed Dummy can drive.

Signholder

• Administrator
  • Driver
    • View Profile
Re: Race Day Minus 10
« Reply #1 on: October 28, 2007, 03:10:23 PM »
There's just a fine coat of dust and dirt all over everything as a reminder of the awesome off-road dirt racing that went on there just 2 days ago.
-
'Til next time...

When is there not a fine coat of dust on everything in Texas ???
Heeeer's yur sign!!!