Author Topic: NASCAR's Coming to Town  (Read 2746 times)

Texas16

• Driver
    • View Profile
NASCAR's Coming to Town
« on: October 20, 2007, 06:42:18 PM »
It’s been a while since I’ve fulfilled my duties as an interpreter of the “softer side” of NASCAR, and I’m afraid I’ve hit a brick wall in doing that.  I just don’t know whether there IS a ladies’ perspective of NASCAR.  Sadly, all I can offer is a plain ole fan’s thoughts.  But, I’ve decided to stray from my assignment and offer another perspective of racing—pre-race preparations.  If my thoughts are offensive, boring, presumptive, or seemingly arrogant, please don’t hesitate to post a reply or PM me.

It’s not really a secret that I work at a track.  I’m a teeny, tiny miniscule little cog in the machine that is the race track.  My job definitely is not glamorous, and we insignificant cogs have no “insider” status in the sport or even any contact with the celebrity side of racing.  That said, I thought I’d offer here some of the observations of what goes into preparing for a NASCAR weekend.

First allow me to say that it’s a genuine pleasure to work at the track.  The staff here takes great pride in the facility, and they work very, very hard to ensure everything is the best that it can be.  We have a veritable army of groundskeepers that fight all extremes of weather to keep the property looking clean, groomed and inviting.  And I know the attitude of every department is the same: to make every race fan, team member, official, media person and competitor feel welcome and excited to be here, and to meet their individual needs as much as possible.

So, with two weeks of preparation left before a big weekend, what’s going on at the track?  Well, as I type this, we’re hosting a weekend of dirt racing—Championship Off-Road Racing.  Nearly the entire dirt track, pit roads and infield have been dug up—excavated, more like—to provide CORR with an exciting configuration on the half-mile dirt track.  The trucks are practicing right now, but we’re looking forward to a big crowd this evening of this last day of off-road racing.  Pretty cool stuff going on out there.  Not at the track but overhead, the US Navy’s Blue Angels are putting on an air show right now.  Loud!  Someone asked a co-worker if the noise from the Blue Angels got annoying.  Well, no, not since we work at a racetrack.  Two weekends ago the Good Guys National Car Show had their annual 3-day event in the infield of the big track.  That was pretty awesome--seeing literally a couple thousand muscle cars, roadsters, antiques and sports cars in every stage of restoration all the way from a pile of parts to magnificently restored, polished and shiny.  The week before that we had 3 days of modifed and late model dirt racing.  So it's been a busy couple of months filled with interesting events.

The mowers seem to be running every day making sure the campground and grassy areas are perfect.  Banks of blue porta-johns are set up around the campground.  Leading up to one of the last races, we had a terrible windstorm blow in a couple days after they set up the blue boxes.  Since they were empty, they blew over and were scattered higgledy-piggledy across the parking lots.  Periodically one would blow over a retaining wall into the road, and anybody driving by would stop and push the blue porta-john back in the parking lot.  It's pretty windy today so I won't be surprised if we have to do some porta-rescues.

The food concessions and souvenir departments are getting lots of stuff in ready for the fans.  Trucks are coming and going from the warehouses throughout the day.  Since both of those departments use event-only staff, there are training sessions going on every couple of days, too.  Non-perishable food items and souvenirs are being readied to be put in their locations.  Visitor information signs have been set up.  The sparkling white tents used in the sponsor hospitality village have been set up.  All of the traffic lanes have been freshly striped.  The walls of the track have all been freshly painted.

This doesn't really sound like much but over the course of the next two weeks, something new will show up or be set up that will remind us that we’re about to have a race.  One day soon, I’ll show up for work just as the sun’s coming up and will notice something that I’d missed when I left the evening before:  brightly colored flags will be fluttering in the morning sun and breeze from hundreds of flagpoles all over the property.  That’s the day when it’ll all hit me:  NASCAR’s coming to town!
Bug-Eyed Dummy can drive.

OregonSHRFan

• Driver
    • View Profile
Re: NASCAR's Coming to Town
« Reply #1 on: October 20, 2007, 08:38:13 PM »
cool posting!!

WSF

• Driver
  • 2013 Yahoo Fantasy Racing Champion!!!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 21, 2007, 12:57:22 PM »
Thank you for sharing.  :) People like you do a great job to make sure nascar look's good. I tip my cap to every track worker at every track, for a job well done.
The Seattle Seahawks are SuperBowl Champions!!!!!

#1Jimmiefan

• Driver
    • View Profile
    • Myspace
« Reply #3 on: October 21, 2007, 01:12:51 PM »
I can't wait! I can't wait!!! ;D ;D ;D

I have not had the pleasure of going to a race anywhere other than TMS but I have to say the grounds and facilities are top-notch. When the campers start rolling in, it's amazing to see all the fans in their gear. The people are head to toe in "their" driver's attire, flags are flying, some of the campers have had their busses painted up in the scheme or colors of their favorite driver. Everyone gets along great and it's soo much fun. I've never in my life like the porta-potties but at TMS the guys and gals do a great job of trying to keep them clean, the restrooms and showers are cleaned almost non-stop. Everything always looks great.

I wish I could have been there to see the Blue Angels. Those guys are amazing. Our airshow this year got rained out on the last day and the Angels didn't get to demo for us, so I was bummed.

caboolarue

« Reply #4 on: October 21, 2007, 01:41:48 PM »
You all have me pumped up to watch it on tv.  I'm so excited for all of you who are able to either get preparations ready for the race or if your a fan going to the race.  When there is a Nascardiac involved it makes my heart pitter patter.  And we all get pumped up.  Mostly, just to see if we can see a Sign someone is holding or maybe looking into the crowd when they scan across, and you think Wow so-in-so is there.  How Awsome. Luv you guys, so be safe and have fun.  But it's a must, you have to report back to us.   :D

#1Jimmiefan

• Driver
    • View Profile
    • Myspace
« Reply #5 on: October 21, 2007, 03:27:17 PM »
IF I can get my butt out of bed early enough I am going to try and get to the Speed stage with a sign.

Signholder

• Administrator
  • Driver
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 28, 2007, 03:08:04 PM »
I can't wait! I can't wait!!! ;D ;D ;D

+2
Signspotter#19 and me!!!
Heeeer's yur sign!!!

#1Jimmiefan

• Driver
    • View Profile
    • Myspace
« Reply #7 on: October 28, 2007, 03:15:16 PM »
I should be at the track around 1500 or so on Sat. I will call ya'll and Texas16 once we are settled in. SEVEN more days!

Signholder

• Administrator
  • Driver
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 28, 2007, 03:28:41 PM »
I should be at the track around 1500 or so on Sat. I will call ya'll and Texas16 once we are settled in. SEVEN more days!

Can't wait to finaly get to meet ya'll.
I wonder id DrLove38 is going to be there ???
Heeeer's yur sign!!!

#1Jimmiefan

• Driver
    • View Profile
    • Myspace
« Reply #9 on: October 28, 2007, 04:09:00 PM »
The more, the merrier!