Author Topic: Crap Shoot 2007, The Finals (Round 4)  (Read 2207 times)

Quack

• Administrator
  • Driver
    • View Profile
Crap Shoot 2007, The Finals (Round 4)
« on: October 05, 2007, 01:35:12 AM »
Thank God this weekend is the last plate race of the year.  I'm sure that everyone already knows how I feel about "The Chase", but in case you don't, you can read about it here.  Since it is unfortunately here to stay for the foreseeable future, NASCAR needs to take a plate race out of the equation.  One bad finish can cost you any hopes at a title, and at a plate race - more so than any other race - your destiny is simply out of your control.  Forty-three cars running 190MPH inches apart is a disaster waiting to happen.  And in the case of "Chasers", it is often the "goodbye championship hopes" type of disaster.  When it comes to "The Chase", it takes three good finishes to make up for each bad one.  The odds are strongly against you, and so is Talladega.

Have I ever mentioned that I hate plate "racing"?   ;D

Who to Watch
Who? #25, Casey Mears
Why? The National Guard team has been putting up some great finishes of late, and I think they'll continue to do so this weekend.  If he can avoid the disasters, I think Casey will turn in a Top 5 finish - Top 10 at worst.

Who? #88, Mike Wallace
Why? OMG!  I just saw the entry list and Mike Wallace is driving Robert Yates Racing's #88 this weekend at Talladega!  Dood!  This guy is one of the best drafters in the business, and he has Yates horsepower under the hood at the single most horsepower-dependent track on the circuit?  And he's guaranteed a start by virtue of the #88 being in the Top 35 in owner points?  That means all he has to worry about in practice is race setup.  WOW!  Mike is probably going to feel like a kid in a candy store with an open tab!  Mike Wallace has one start in 2007; the Daytona 500.  Where'd he finish?  4th.  Oh yeah, and the last win for the #88?  Talladega, October 2005.  Honestly, I would not be shocked to see Mike take the #88 back to Victory Lane this weekend.  Yes, he's -that- good a drafter.  And it's no secret that the Yates cars run like scalded dogs on the plate tracks.

Who? #40, David Stremme
Why? After his rookie season in 2006 that saw him hit everything *plus* the pace car, Stremme has shown dramatic improvement in 2007.  He's tearing up very little equipment (comparatively speaking), and is turning in some decent finishes.  Included in those decent finishes is a 13.7 average finish in the first three plate races of the season, with a high of 8th at Talladega back in April.  Look for David to turn in another solid Top 20 finish again this weekend.

Who? #5, Kyle Busch
Why? I just want to see if he goes after Dale Earnhardt, Jr. to pay him back for last week's "love tap" at Kansas.  Naaaah, surely he wouldn't do that.  Would he?   ???

Who? COT
Why? This is undoubtedly going to be the biggest test to date for the new car.  How will it perform?  How will the drivers adjust?  Will it be as maneuverable as the old car?  Will it be more maneuverable?  Will there be a 43-car pack for 500 miles, or will they get strung out?  Will the cars be stable running in the pack?  Here's to hoping for a caution-free race!  (Please, no cut tires from splitters - or anything else.)

Who's Going to Win
God only knows.  It's a frequin crap shoot!  As I said above, I wouldn't be too terribly shocked to see Mike Wallace take the checkers first this weekend, but it'll likely be one of the usual suspects...

#2, Kurt Busch
#8, Dale Earnhardt, Jr.
#11, Denny Hamlin
#12, Ryan Newman
#20, Tony Stewart
#24, Jeff Gordon
#48, Jimmie Johnson

Throw in #1, Martin Truex, Jr. for good measure.  Then there's #38, David Gilliland, with an average finish of 7.6 at Daytona and Talladega this season, and 9.5 for his career.

Man, I just don't know.  I have this really weird feeling that it won't be a "Chaser" drinking the champagne this weekend.  I get the sense that with the new car, they're going to be protecting themselves the entire race.  That usually leads to either a good finish or a wreck.  For their sake, let's hope for the former.

Oh what the hell.  I'm going to go way out on a limb this week and say that David Gilliland picks up career victory #1 in the #38 M&Ms Ford Fusion, with lots of drafting help from his one-race teammate, Mike Wallace.

Happy racing.

Signholder

• Administrator
  • Driver
    • View Profile
Re: Crap Shoot 2007, The Finals (Round 4)
« Reply #1 on: October 07, 2007, 04:26:45 PM »
Oh what the hell.  I'm going to go way out on a limb this week and say that David Gilliland picks up career victory #1 in the #38 M&Ms Ford Fusion, with lots of drafting help from his one-race teammate, Mike Wallace.

Happy racing.

You picked my man...........I'll take back a few of those bad things I've said about you. :D :D :D
Heeeer's yur sign!!!