Author Topic: Remembering Adam and Kenny  (Read 2606 times)

Quack

• Administrator
  • Driver
    • View Profile
Remembering Adam and Kenny
« on: September 13, 2007, 02:15:37 PM »
This week as NASCAR's Cup Series heads off to New Hampshire International Speedway,  I'm having a really difficult time giving much thought to "The Chase".  Maybe it's because I despise it?  Maybe it's because I detest the reasoning behind its creation?  Whatever the case, for some reason I can't help but think about Adam Petty and Kenny Irwin, Jr., each of whom lost their lives doing what they loved to do - racing - at this spectacular track in Loudon, NH.  I can't believe that it's been over seven years since we said goodbye to these great racers; those goodbyes separated by a mere two months' time.

We, as humans, know that death is lurking around every corner; it is as much a part of life as birth is.  It is inevitable, no matter how invincible we might feel.  We, as race fans, seem to forget that these men (and women) that we cheer or jeer from week to week are tempting death with each turn of the wheel.

"Bah," you say, "their cars are the safest vehicles on earth!  They'll walk away from it, no problem!"

More often than not, that is correct.  But then there are those times when they don't.  Tiny Lund.  J.D. McDuffie.  Neil Bonnett.  Ayrton Senna.  Blaise Alexander.  Fireball Roberts.  Paul Dana.  Joe Weatherly.  Tony Bettenhausen.  The list goes on and on.

Then came the news of May 12, 2000 and July 7, 2000.  NHIS, Turn 3.  Barely two months apart, in the same corner, in eerily similar accidents we lost two of NASCAR's brightest young stars.  Decades too soon.  To NASCAR's credit, as well as other racing series, such tragedy has often led to major safety improvements that have made the sport that we all love a much safer one.  But there is still a significant risk involved.  Think about some of these guys the next time you see cars crashing all over the track.

I am dedicating this week's New Hampshire preview article to Adam Petty and Kenny Irwin, Jr.  May your memory and legacy live on for generations!

Who to Watch
Who? #70, Johnny "That Damn" Sauter
Why? Lost in all of the TEI conspiracy theory talk last weekend was a solid Top 5 finish by Sauter.  Amazingly enough, he didn't take out three-quarters of the field in doing so.  With another COT race on tap for this week, at another almost-short track (it acts like a short track, but at 1 mile in length it isn't officially referred to as one), things look pretty good for Bootie Barker and Company.  Of course though, the real Johnny Sauter will probably come to race this weekend, which means he'll finish 36th.   ;D

Who? #1, Martin Truex, Jr.
Why? Whether or not he does anything worthwhile for the remainder of the 2007 season, Truex has already had an extremely successful season.  He finally picked up career victory #1 back in June, and he made "The Chase", in sub-standard equipment.  Nine months ago, if you were told that only one "Junior" from TEI was going to be in "The Chase", I'd be willing to bet that you wouldn't have picked Martin.  Oh, by the way, he finished 3rd at Loudon the last time we raced there.

Who? #11, Denny Hamlin
Why? Career average finish at New Hampshire International Speedway: 3.7.

Who? #99, Carl Edwards
Why? His team is simply on fire of late.  While his career numbers at Loudon aren't anything to write home about, it's not like the guy is a doormat either.  I look for the Office Depot #99 Ford to be near the front at the end of the day.

Who? #31, Jeff Burton
Why? At one time, Burton was the Track Master at NHIS.  While some would argue that it wasn't a real race - because of the use of restrictor plates in the wake of Adam and Kenny's deaths - Burton won the September 2000 edition of the Dura Lube 300 at New Hampshire by leading all 300 laps.  Ayep, *all* 300.  With the AT&T/Nextel/NASCAR lawsuit behind them, I'd look for Mr. Burton to turn up the wick a little bit and make a strong run at a championship.

Who's Going to Win
It's crunch time, and when it gets down to the nitty-gritty, I tend to ride the horse that got me there.  So I'm going to hop back onto the Hendrick Motorsports train until they throw me off.  Take your pick: #48 Jimmie Johnson, #24 Jeff Gordon, or #5 Kyle Busch.  Any of the three guys can win on pretty much any given track for the next ten weeks.  Hamlin beat Jeff Gordon to the line by about 10 or 12 feet back in July, so I think Jeff might just return the favor this week and lead the boys to the checkers.

No matter who wins, I'll be cheering this week for Adam and Kenny!

Happy racing.

CodeBlueEMT

Re: Remembering Adam and Kenny
« Reply #1 on: September 13, 2007, 02:47:14 PM »
 I remember hearing about Adam on the radio at work. It broke my heart. I felt so bad for Kyle and Pattie.
At the time, I wondered how they would get through something so devastating. Now I know. I'll be thinking about Adam and Kenny this weekend.

Shayne

canuck speed freak

• Driver
  • G Stars Rule!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 13, 2007, 11:31:36 PM »
I too am saddened by the loss of all the drivers who have given the ultimate sacrifice for their proffession. Add greg Moore to that list Quack. Please, as he is Canadian, and Jaques dad Gilles Villeneueve!
You must first finish, to finish First. mfdiana.com
www.parksvillegenerals.org  VP and scorekeeper
www.focusfanatics.com proud member

1_Newman_Fan

• Driver
  • Poor Boy Racing class 7sx
    • View Profile
    • Bazi
« Reply #3 on: September 13, 2007, 11:36:26 PM »
I think its safe to say that if thay were hear with us to day tony and jeff would not have all the wins that thay do..

Quack

• Administrator
  • Driver
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 14, 2007, 12:25:17 AM »
I too am saddened by the loss of all the drivers who have given the ultimate sacrifice for their proffession. Add greg Moore to that list Quack. Please, as he is Canadian, and Jaques dad Gilles Villeneueve!

canuck, indeed.  I by no means had any intentions of slighting anyone.  I just rattled off a few names from the top of my head.  I must admit that I don't remember Greg Moore, but I certainly remember Jacko's dad.  There are so many drivers that we've lost over the years.  This weekend, being at New Hampshire, I just can't help but think of Adam and Kenny.  They, as well as many before and since, are sorely missed.

1_Newman_Fan

• Driver
  • Poor Boy Racing class 7sx
    • View Profile
    • Bazi
« Reply #5 on: September 14, 2007, 12:28:22 AM »
True true i tought that kyle would sale every thing off and never race again im so glad he got back on the horse..

Roller6

• Driver
  • Tomorrows don't happen w/out Yesterdays
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 14, 2007, 12:57:30 PM »
Quack, are the ARCA cars and the Bush East and West cars as safe as the NASCAR and BUSH rides. To me I would think not only because of the money involved.
Be careful were you step. The person before you might not have been looking were he was walking

Quack

• Administrator
  • Driver
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 14, 2007, 06:28:28 PM »
Quack, are the ARCA cars and the Bush East and West cars as safe as the NASCAR and BUSH rides. To me I would think not only because of the money involved.

"As safe"?  I'm not sure that can be definitively answered, but I'll offer up my take on it: No.

I say 'no' because in many cases ARCA/Busch East/Busch West are retired Cup and/or Busch cars (depending upon wheelbase rules, and the like in the respective series).  Therefore, the cars are at the bottom of the barrel, so to speak, in terms of quality.  In addition, the safety rules that are in place in Cup/Busch are not always the same as in the lower-tier series, and although the rules tend to "trickle down" to the other series, they usually begin in the Cup/Busch series.

That being said, I believe that the cars in any national/regional series are *much* safer than the ones at the local short track.  I also believe that -all- of them are much safer than they were even 10-15 years ago, and are continually becoming more safe.

Roller6

• Driver
  • Tomorrows don't happen w/out Yesterdays
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 14, 2007, 07:14:56 PM »
Thanks for the answere. You learn something new everyday. I did not know the lower tier cars were hand me downs, so to speak. I remember watching the Bush East I think it was, and seeing Jr.'s nephew driving. They  stated he was driving Jr.'s back up car for Richmond and I found that sort of odd. Thinking that he might have some type of unfair advantage over the other field being it an actual DEI car if you know what I mean. The other teams in that division I'm sure don't have that kind of cash at their despense. 
And sorry for going away from the original thread
« Last Edit: September 14, 2007, 07:16:48 PM by Roller6 »
Be careful were you step. The person before you might not have been looking were he was walking