Author Topic: Official Cup Schedule - Quack Style  (Read 8335 times)

Quack

• Administrator
  • Driver
    • View Profile
Official Cup Schedule - Quack Style
« on: August 22, 2007, 12:24:59 AM »
Okay, I've alluded to an article about the Cup schedule in the past, but have never found the time to sit down and write it.  I still don't have the time, but with the Michigan weather this weekend, I decided that I should take the time anyways.

Here, listed in no particular order, are several goals that this schedule attempts to solve:

1. Bring the Cup Series to as many markets as possible, giving fans all over the U.S. an "equal opportunity" to see their drivers in action.

2. Provide much needed time off for (some of) the drivers.  This is paramount to keeping those who would love to hang around and entertain us more, if they only had some time to themselves during the season.

3. Provide opportunities for races that need to be rescheduled due to rain/weather.

4. Crown a Cup Champion who has truly excelled on all types of tracks.

5. Eliminate some of the redundancy of the season, while simultaneously rewarding tracks/markets that strongly support NASCAR.

6. Restore some NASCAR traditions that have been taken away.

7. Start some new NASCAR traditions.

So, without further ado, here is the 2008 Official NASCAR Cup Schedule, Quack Style.

#DateTrackNotes
Exhib.Feb 9DaytonaBud Shootout
Qual.Feb 14DaytonaTwin 125s (Gatorade Duals)
1Feb 17DaytonaDaytona 500
2Feb 24CaliforniaYeah, I know.  But this one is for the marketing department.
3Mar 2VegasFor the marketing department, and the fans that love to gamble.
4Mar 9AtlantaOne of the two fastest tracks on the circuit.
5Mar 16BristolBeatin' and bangin' baby!
OffMar 23Easter
6Mar 30MartinsvilleSome more beatin' and bangin'!  Oh, and the balogna burgers.
7Apr 6PhoenixFirst Saturday night race of the year.
8Apr 13Talladega
9Apr 19RichmondSaturday night beatin' and bangin'!
10Apr 27RockinghamNASCAR returns to The Rock!  And on a date when the weather isn't likely to be a factor.
11May 3DarlingtonSaturday night.  Week before Mother's Day instead of the day before.
OffMay 11Mother's Day
Exhib.May 17CharlotteSaturday night / Open & All-Star
12May 25CharlotteCoke 600
13Jun 1Laguna SecaBeautiful road course in California.  We add a new track to the series, and pacify the marketing department, to boot.
14Jun 8PoconoDon't worry.  It's the only Pocono race on the schedule!
15Jun 15MichiganThe Father's Day tradition continues.
16Jun 21KansasSaturday night, under the lights.  Great track, but not during the Chase.
17Jun 29New HampshireLove the track, but I don't think it deserves two dates.
18Jul 5DaytonaThe Saturday night Firecracker tradition continues.
OffJul 13Possible weather makeup date.
19Jul 20Chicagoland
20Jul 27NazarethThe Cup Series makes a triumphant return to Nazareth!
21Aug 3IndianapolisBrickyard 400
22Aug 10Watkins GlenKick-butt road course action!  Arguably the best race through 23 races of 2007.
23Aug 16KentuckySaturday night, under the lights.  The Cup Series finally comes to Kentucky, a track that has proven it deserves a Cup date.
24Aug 23RichmondSaturday night beatin' and bangin' under the lights!
25Aug 31DarlingtonThe Real Southern 500!  Labor Day weekend returns to its rightful home, and in glorious fashion as the cutoff for the Chase!
OffSep 7Possible weather makeup date.  Otherwise, rest before the Chase begins.
OffSep 14Possible weather makeup date.  Otherwise, rest before the Chase begins.
26Sep 20BristolChase Race #1.  Saturday night beatin' and bangin' to kick off the Chase!  Yeah baby!
27Sep 28DoverChase Race #2.  Go from the 1/2 mile concrete jungle to its big brother, the Monster Mile!
28Oct 5TalladegaChase Race #3.  Plate racing - Chase style!
29Oct 11CharlotteChase Race #4.  Saturday night under the lights at home!
30Oct 19MartinsvilleChase Race #5.  More beatin' and bangin' in the Chase!
31Oct 26InfineonChase Race #6.  The Chase *needs* a road course.  This provides stellar racing in the Chase, another twist and turn (no pun intended) on the way to the title, and appeases the marketing department who so desperately covets the California market.
32Nov 2AtlantaChase Race #7.  Return to the high speeds of Hotlanta for the Chase!
33Nov 9TexasChase Race #8.  I thought long and hard about this one.  While I'd like to see some other tracks during the Chase, it (a) makes sense to add another 1.5 mile track, and, (b) more importantly, there's just not many places that weather will permit racing in November.
34Nov 15PhoenixChase Race #9.  See note above on Texas.  Also, this one helps appease the marketing department who covets the West Coast market.
35Nov 23HomesteadChase Race #10.  Time to crown our new Cup Champion in South Florida!  Plus, let's face it; the only place the weather is better this time of year is Hawaii, and that's a bit too far to travel!

As you can see, we get back some of our missing tracks, we add a couple of new ones, and we remove a lot of the redundancy that currently exists in the Cup Series.  All the while, we're providing opportunities for time off at home for the drivers, while simultaneously building in weather makeup dates.

This schedule required a lot of time to put together.  I tried to provide all of the must-see races for fans, while also appeasing the marketing department.  I think it's a very fair balance between what the fans want and what the bean counters want.

Happy racing.

« Last Edit: August 22, 2007, 10:53:12 AM by Quack »

Quack

• Administrator
  • Driver
    • View Profile
Re: Official Cup Schedule - Quack Style
« Reply #1 on: August 22, 2007, 11:00:32 AM »
Oh, and this schedule also adds two more Saturday night races to the schedule.  That gives us *nine* points races - ten if you include the All-Star - under the lights, instead of seven.

CodeBlueEMT

« Reply #2 on: August 22, 2007, 11:06:30 AM »
 Quack, Rockingham back on the schedule !!! It's going to be auctioned off soon. If only...

Darlington back to Labor Day, WOOHOO !!!

Shayne

TeamBlueOval

• Jackman
    • View Profile
    • Ford Fans Message Board
« Reply #3 on: August 23, 2007, 03:06:39 PM »
That schedule looks GREAT to me!! ;D
-Andrew

caboolarue

« Reply #4 on: August 23, 2007, 08:03:47 PM »
This is awsome, Now that this schedule has met our approval, We antisipate the approval from Nascar.   :)

smoke14fan

• Driver
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 24, 2007, 11:17:04 AM »
Atlanta in Noember, brrr, bring your Parkas, it can get nasty cold in that granstand.  Beer sales would be way down. :o
"Political Correctness: A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority, rabidly promoted by the mainstream media, which promotes the premise that it is entirely possible to pick up a piece of excrement by its clean end." (Ano

Quack

• Administrator
  • Driver
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 24, 2007, 12:59:55 PM »
Atlanta in Noember, brrr, bring your Parkas, it can get nasty cold in that granstand.  Beer sales would be way down. :o

They race Atlanta every year in October, between the 27th and the 31st.  What's another 2 days later?  The weather most certainly does not change that drastically in two days.  ;)

Signspotter#19

• Authors
  • Driver
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 24, 2007, 02:40:20 PM »
Like some of but don't like some of it. There is not enough liquor in town or enough chores(that I am willing to do) to keep from going into total lack of Nascar Cup race depresion during a 2 week hiatus between the last race before the Chase begins. Just can't champion that. My selfish needs must come first! ;) What the hell did you do to my April race in Texas? I need that race. That race as well as the one in Nov. sells out every time. Around a quarter of a million people attend that race. I would say that it is Nascar supported. The racing there has improved alot and has for the past 2 years been quite exciting. The Texas race I believe in Nov is what got Scott hooked. You just can't eliminate the April Texas race or the Nov. one for that matter. And two weeks of before the Chase? No way. Otherwise, great schedule Quack.
"Everyone's invited to the Barn for bologna burgers next Saturday night"

smoke14fan

• Driver
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 24, 2007, 03:09:07 PM »
They race Atlanta every year in October, between the 27th and the 31st.  What's another 2 days later?  The weather most certainly does not change that drastically in two days.  ;)

[/quote

That's true.  November just sounds colder.
"Political Correctness: A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority, rabidly promoted by the mainstream media, which promotes the premise that it is entirely possible to pick up a piece of excrement by its clean end." (Ano

canuck speed freak

• Driver
  • G Stars Rule!
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 24, 2007, 11:32:48 PM »
And remember, Atlanta was held in November for years as the last race of the year. Did get rained on a few times too, so Nascar got smart and moved it south.
You must first finish, to finish First. mfdiana.com
www.parksvillegenerals.org  VP and scorekeeper
www.focusfanatics.com proud member

#1Jimmiefan

• Driver
    • View Profile
    • Myspace
« Reply #10 on: August 24, 2007, 11:53:49 PM »
Like some of but don't like some of it. There is not enough liquor in town or enough chores(that I am willing to do) to keep from going into total lack of Nascar Cup race depresion during a 2 week hiatus between the last race before the Chase begins. Just can't champion that. My selfish needs must come first! ;) What the hell did you do to my April race in Texas? I need that race. That race as well as the one in Nov. sells out every time. Around a quarter of a million people attend that race. I would say that it is Nascar supported. The racing there has improved alot and has for the past 2 years been quite exciting. The Texas race I believe in Nov is what got Scott hooked. You just can't eliminate the April Texas race or the Nov. one for that matter. And two weeks of before the Chase? No way. Otherwise, great schedule Quack.

I agree! QUACK! (in my most pissed off mother voice) How dare you even think of eliminating Texas! Damn it, those are the only races I get to go to!

Quack

• Administrator
  • Driver
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 24, 2007, 11:56:06 PM »
1. I didn't eliminate Texas.

2. There are a couple of changes that I'd *really* like to make even to that schedule, but I haven't been able to workout the logistics of them yet.  When I do, I'll post them.  :)

#1Jimmiefan

• Driver
    • View Profile
    • Myspace
« Reply #12 on: August 24, 2007, 11:58:26 PM »
1. I didn't eliminate Texas.

You tried. You did the eliminate the April race >:(

2. There are a couple of changes that I'd *really* like to make even to that schedule, but I haven't been able to workout the logistics of them yet.  When I do, I'll post them.  :)

Looking forward to seeing your updates.

Signspotter#19

• Authors
  • Driver
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 25, 2007, 01:30:21 AM »
You damn sure did eliminate my April Texas race. Damnit, I am like #1Jimmyfan, those are the only races I get to go to and you toss them away like trash! Bring back Texas in April! >:(

Signholder

• Administrator
  • Driver
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: August 25, 2007, 01:18:44 PM »
 ??? Montreal  ???
 ??? Iowa  ???
 ??? Texas-April  ???
I guess we could nit-pic it to death.
I like the fact that you added some diversity in the scheduling by adding some new tracks, that alone would not only put the drivers skills in play, but the teams skills also.
Logistics wise, need to look at East coast-West coast-East coast races at the end of May, beginning of June. That would be hard on teams and the media. Try East, Central, West, Southwest, East.
Great attempt, but keep in mind, my consultant fees are very inexpensive.  ;D
Heeeer's yur sign!!!

Quack

• Administrator
  • Driver
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: August 25, 2007, 01:34:16 PM »
??? Montreal  ???

I *really* want Montreal on the schedule.  It came down to a choice between Montreal and Nazareth, or adding another date.  I chose Nazareth.  But Montreal would be just fine for me.  Maybe we can run half the race in Nazareth, and then finish it up in Montreal?  LOL

??? Iowa  ???

I strongly considered adding Iowa to the schedule.  But when you consider that the grandstands only hold 25,000 and it only has 105 motorhome spots, it does not deserve a Cup date.

??? Texas-April  ???

Sorry.  The people in Michigan, Pocono, New Hampshire, and California probably feel the same way.  (Okay, maybe not California.  LOL)

I guess we could nit-pic it to death.

And y'all are doing a damn good job of it!   ;D

I like the fact that you added some diversity in the scheduling by adding some new tracks, that alone would not only put the drivers skills in play, but the teams skills also.

Ayep!

Logistics wise, need to look at East coast-West coast-East coast races at the end of May, beginning of June. That would be hard on teams and the media. Try East, Central, West, Southwest, East.

They're already doing it.  They can handle it.

Great attempt, but keep in mind, my consultant fees are very inexpensive.  ;D

Hmmmmmmmmmmmmmm.  Not sure I have a response for that.   ;D

#1Jimmiefan

• Driver
    • View Profile
    • Myspace
« Reply #16 on: August 25, 2007, 10:46:43 PM »
BRING BACK TMS IN APRIL DANG IT!!!!

New campaign, lol.

Signspotter#19

• Authors
  • Driver
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: August 26, 2007, 03:29:12 PM »
BRING BACK TMS IN APRIL DANG IT!!!!

New campaign, lol.

Here, here! I want 2 damn races at TMS or just leave the schedule as is. And that is my final answer! ;D

zooney9334

« Reply #18 on: August 26, 2007, 06:24:41 PM »
Only one Vegas race?  Should have either 2 or put the last race in Vegas so the teams can really celebrate the championship in style.

Quack

• Administrator
  • Driver
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: August 26, 2007, 06:26:14 PM »
Only one Vegas race?  Should have either 2 or put the last race in Vegas so the teams can really celebrate the championship in style.

No offense, but I hope Vegas never gets a second Cup date.  I do, however, hope they move the banquet to Vegas!  *That* would be celebrating the championship in style!  ;)