Author Topic: You Donít Pick a Favorite  (Read 4222 times)

Scott

• Administrator
  • Driver
    • View Profile
    • ScottSpain.com
You Donít Pick a Favorite
« on: August 06, 2007, 10:43:50 PM »
You donít pick a favorite driver any more than you pick a favorite color. If you picked your favorite color, you donítí really have one. A ďfavoriteĒ is something you ďfavor, not something you woke up one morning and decided to label a ďfavoriteĒ.  In a way, your favorite picks you.

Despite being a NASCAR fan for less than a year, Iíve been under a great deal of pressure to ďpickĒ a favorite driver. Everybody from forum members to the girl that cuts my hair tells me ďitís time to pick a favorite, already!Ē  My brother-in-law, who recently spoke to my wife over the phone, told her to tell me to pick a favorite driver. I havenít spoken to the guy in 3 years.

So I began the selection process by establishing some criteria:

First of all, I want to root for somebody I consider to be a descent guy.  That didnít eliminate anybody, because I donít believe thereís a bad guy in the Cup series. Sure there may be some I like less than othersÖ Some who behave in a way I wouldnít behaveÖ But there is no driver in the series that compares to the ďbad guysĒ Iím used to in other sports.  In other words, this particular criteria didnít do squat for me.

Secondly, I understood that I needed to avoid choosing a favorite based on criteria that had nothing to do with them as drivers.  So choosing based on a number, a sponsor or automaker would not be a good idea for me.  Iím a loyal fan. I wouldnít feel right about having a favorite driver for 10 years, only to toss him aside because he switched to a different make of car.

I also felt it was in my best interest to root for a winner.  This is an odd stance for me to take, because I normally love to root for the underdog. Unless I have an emotional favorite, I always root for the underdog when watching fights. But fights are different from races.  In a fight, if my guy loses, I still get to see him participate for the duration of the bout. In NASCAR, rooting for somebody who doesnít contend means you may watch a 4 hour race on Sunday and never even see your guy. I have great admiration for those who can root for a dude that averages 5 seconds of television coverage each weekend, but I just canít do it. If Iím going to pick a favorite racecar drive, Iíd kinda like to see him drive a racecar now and again.  This was a good criterion to have, as it narrowed the field of candidates down to a handful.

My final selection criterion was that I wanted to cheer for a young driver. Sure I could latch on to Gordon or Stewart, and enjoy many an easy celebration, but that doesnít hold the same satisfaction as rooting for a driver for their entire career.  This last item narrowed my field of choices down to a select few. Guys like Martin Truex Jr., and Kyle Busch were in the mix.

The way he handled himself on camera when asked about Tony Stewart wrecking him at Daytona, was how Denny Hamlin chose me.

Iím not going to commit myself to becoming a die-hard Hamlin fan just yet.  Iím still too new to the sport to make this kind of commitment. If Kyle Busch and Toyota get thrown into the Joe Gibbs Racing mix, as rumored, next season, it will be a true test of character for Denny.  JGR will likely become to proving ground necessary for me to make such a commitment. But, until he does something to change my mind, Iím rooting for #11 all the way!
- Scott Spain

Scott

• Administrator
  • Driver
    • View Profile
    • ScottSpain.com
Re: You Donít Pick a Favorite
« Reply #1 on: August 06, 2007, 10:44:09 PM »
With that said, I still have about fifteen 2nd favorite drivers. LOL. It's just one great big love fest at my house on race day.
- Scott Spain

HERM

• Driver
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 07, 2007, 09:02:43 AM »
scott, all is well said and denny is an awesome pick.

Signholder

• Administrator
  • Driver
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 10, 2007, 05:55:18 PM »
Scott, IMO, you did great throwing you support behind # 11 Denny Hamlin. I think with what we have seen so far, this kid is going to have a great career in Nascar.
Just wanted you to hear this from someone other than herm. (JPM fan, can't trust judgement) :D
Go Denny  ;D
Heeeer's yur sign!!!

#1Jimmiefan

• Driver
    • View Profile
    • Myspace
« Reply #4 on: August 10, 2007, 08:35:16 PM »
Scott:

I gotta agree, Denny is a great pick. I look forward to seeing how well he can do in the future, it looks pretty bright for him right now.

canuck speed freak

• Driver
  • G Stars Rule!
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 11, 2007, 12:30:22 AM »
With that said, I still have about fifteen 2nd favorite drivers. LOL. It's just one great big love fest at my house on race day.
Add your 28, 3rd fave drivers and you got the field covered! lol
« Last Edit: August 11, 2007, 01:47:16 AM by canuck speed freak »
You must first finish, to finish First. mfdiana.com
www.parksvillegenerals.org  VP and scorekeeper
www.focusfanatics.com proud member

oneshineylady

• Driver
    • View Profile
    • Msn Spaces(the blogs are funnier anyway)
« Reply #6 on: August 21, 2007, 03:57:54 PM »
f'in eh hun, Denny rocks! Unfortunately I get in the same argument about him and Tony every Sunday but hey, Denny doesn't need a bottle! The guy races well and keeps himself well.
Everyone has to believe in something....I believe I'll have another drink. GO KINKOS!

tuffcarguy

• Jackman
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 03, 2007, 02:09:27 AM »
so what do you think ?

http://forum.nascardiac.com/index.php?topic=1713.0

you havent chimed in.
go fast . turn left!!! if you have to turn right, you need a round of wedge.

Scott

• Administrator
  • Driver
    • View Profile
    • ScottSpain.com
« Reply #8 on: November 03, 2007, 02:25:03 AM »
You're killin' me Smalls!

Yes, I've avoided that topic.
- Scott Spain

kimmer

• Administrator
  • Driver
  • Gas On!
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 04, 2007, 08:46:37 PM »
Hi all...new here, and I came across ya'lls post re fave drivers....
I've been a fan of Nascar since the early 70s when I was a kid (gee- might be giving away my age - lol)..  Anyway, I am a huge/diehard Robby Gordon fan.  Robby is my 4th fave driver of my lifetime.  I always cheer my fave and wear his colors, but I don't have anything against the other drivers.  Truth be known, there are a couple drivers I really do not care for, but I am a "fan" of the sport.  My NASCAR collection exceeds 900 (nine-hundred) diecasts which includes "ALL" drivers and other memorabilla.
It's great to have your fave driver, but not to the extent that you refuse to watch a race just b/c your driver isn't doing well... jmo
Did I mention I'm new, and really enjoy being in the group!!! :)

Scott

• Administrator
  • Driver
    • View Profile
    • ScottSpain.com
« Reply #10 on: November 05, 2007, 03:16:16 AM »
Did I mention I'm new, and really enjoy being in the group!!! :)

kimmer,

I can't begin to express how much we appreciate you being a part of this group.
- Scott Spain

DMR#11

• Tire Changer
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 06, 2007, 06:55:11 PM »
You donít pick a favorite driver any more than you pick a favorite color. If you picked your favorite color, you donítí really have one. A ďfavoriteĒ is something you ďfavor, not something you woke up one morning and decided to label a ďfavoriteĒ.  In a way, your favorite picks you.

Despite being a NASCAR fan for less than a year, Iíve been under a great deal of pressure to ďpickĒ a favorite driver. Everybody from forum members to the girl that cuts my hair tells me ďitís time to pick a favorite, already!Ē  My brother-in-law, who recently spoke to my wife over the phone, told her to tell me to pick a favorite driver. I havenít spoken to the guy in 3 years.

So I began the selection process by establishing some criteria:

First of all, I want to root for somebody I consider to be a descent guy.  That didnít eliminate anybody, because I donít believe thereís a bad guy in the Cup series. Sure there may be some I like less than othersÖ Some who behave in a way I wouldnít behaveÖ But there is no driver in the series that compares to the ďbad guysĒ Iím used to in other sports.  In other words, this particular criteria didnít do squat for me.

Secondly, I understood that I needed to avoid choosing a favorite based on criteria that had nothing to do with them as drivers.  So choosing based on a number, a sponsor or automaker would not be a good idea for me.  Iím a loyal fan. I wouldnít feel right about having a favorite driver for 10 years, only to toss him aside because he switched to a different make of car.

I also felt it was in my best interest to root for a winner.  This is an odd stance for me to take, because I normally love to root for the underdog. Unless I have an emotional favorite, I always root for the underdog when watching fights. But fights are different from races.  In a fight, if my guy loses, I still get to see him participate for the duration of the bout. In NASCAR, rooting for somebody who doesnít contend means you may watch a 4 hour race on Sunday and never even see your guy. I have great admiration for those who can root for a dude that averages 5 seconds of television coverage each weekend, but I just canít do it. If Iím going to pick a favorite racecar drive, Iíd kinda like to see him drive a racecar now and again.  This was a good criterion to have, as it narrowed the field of candidates down to a handful.

My final selection criterion was that I wanted to cheer for a young driver. Sure I could latch on to Gordon or Stewart, and enjoy many an easy celebration, but that doesnít hold the same satisfaction as rooting for a driver for their entire career.  This last item narrowed my field of choices down to a select few. Guys like Martin Truex Jr., and Kyle Busch were in the mix.

The way he handled himself on camera when asked about Tony Stewart wrecking him at Daytona, was how Denny Hamlin chose me.

Iím not going to commit myself to becoming a die-hard Hamlin fan just yet.  Iím still too new to the sport to make this kind of commitment. If Kyle Busch and Toyota get thrown into the Joe Gibbs Racing mix, as rumored, next season, it will be a true test of character for Denny.  JGR will likely become to proving ground necessary for me to make such a commitment. But, until he does something to change my mind, Iím rooting for #11 all the way!

Hamlin chose me.Acouple of years back I had the pleasure of going to my 1st nascar race.A project team (i was a part of)for my company won a contest for having the most productive and successful jobsites(or something like that lol).As a prize we got a bus that we stocked with food and drinks and what have you.I gave up my Eagles tickets for that day to go to the race.Funny thing is I'm pretty sure Hamlin didn't race.I think this was the "Fall" Dover race just before Hamlins rookie year.I remember standing in turn 3 as the cars were following the pace car,and I was thinkin wow this is really loud.We'll when the race went green and they came back around I remember having goosebumps and laughing(almost like crying) at the volume and intensstiy of the cars flyin by.I was HOOKED. End of story.The funny thing is I never gave nascar too much thought.I'd flip the station if it was a race or any kind of commentary about racing(I'm not really sure why though).I grew up as a Philadelphia sports fan(mostly Phillies/Eagles).I love those 2 sports as well as hockey and basketball.So anyway... fast forward to the next season.I remeber wanting to really start paying attention to Nascar.Well I have to have someone to "root" for or I can't watch.Even if I'm watchin another team other then my Philly teams.I have to be able to pull for one side or the other.So I was watchin one of the pre race shows( I'm guessin Fox or Speed) and they are interviewing Denny.I thought to my self if I'm going to watch nascar I need a driver to pull for.I don't want to pick one of the popular guys like Gordon,JR,Stewart etc.And since I am a rookie to the sport I need to pick a rookie.Well I 'm watchin Hamlin and he's talkin about how he grew up a Redskins fan and how it was an honor to work for Gibbs.Pretty cool ya know.So I just kinda went with it and started focusing on the #11 in the races.Being a team oriented fan I also pull for #20 and #18.As a little side note my girlfriend really likes Kyle Busch(so do I).He and Denny are freinds, and I don't rememer which race it was earlier this year,but I think Kyle crossed the finishline upside down(or backwards  I think?? lol)I though yeah,I like this kid too. haha.He is real fiery as well.I was very excited when he signed with JGR this yearNow i can also pull for him and not be rootin out side the team.
 Now for one final note.I drive a Toyota Tacoma.It's my second,1986 and then a 2003.I swear by em.Well when Gibbs anounced the Toyotas move for next year I was litterally stoked man.So my Nascar life(abeit a very young one for a grown man) has come full circle. Denny,Kyle, and Tony in Toyotas baby.I'm gonna love next year (or it's gonna be really F##in long lol)
Thankx for the oportunity to express my thoughts. ;D

......by the way the #48 won the race at my first event. lol.And so it began.......
« Last Edit: November 06, 2007, 06:58:34 PM by DMR#11 »
Hamlin and Busch baby!