Author Topic: The Brickyard - Home of U.S. Auto Racing  (Read 1823 times)

Quack

• Administrator
  • Driver
    • View Profile
The Brickyard - Home of U.S. Auto Racing
« on: July 29, 2007, 12:15:33 PM »
<editorial>
Oooops!  Better late than never, I suppose.
</editorial>

Indianapolis Motor Speedway.  The Mecca of U.S. auto racing.  If I could win only one race in my entire career, I would want it to be at The Brickyard.  The place is astounding.  I get goosebumps just thinking about it.  Awesome stuff.  And yes, as a matter of fact, I have kissed the bricks!

Each season when the race schedule is released, the teams go through the list and circle dates on the calendar as races they intend to place a little extra emphasis on.  The reasons for the extra attention to detail are varied; sometimes it's the sponsor's home track, or the driver's home track, or it's the biggest pay day.  The Brickyard 400 is one such race for many teams, especially the top-tier ones, such as Richard Childress Racing, Joe Gibbs Racing, Roush Racing, and Hendrick Motorsports.  Even the second-tier teams of Penske Racing and Chip Ganassi Racing place significant focus on this race.  Both organizations have tons of experience at IMS after years of competing in the Indy 500.  (Penske's record is phenomenal, with 14 Indy 500 victories.)

"So what is your point, Quack?" you ask.  Simple: don't waste too much money betting on longshots at Indy.  At the end of the day, the Top 10 finishers typically reads like a Who's Who of NASCAR, and I would expect more of the same this weekend.

Who to Watch
Who? #42, Juan Pablo Montoya
Why? It's Indy.  The guy won the Indianapolis 500 in his only start (2000).  He has also run extremely well in United States Grand Prix at Indy (Formula 1), posting four Top 5 finishes in six starts.  He starts on the outside pole.  He's driving the same #42 for Chip Ganassi in which Jamie McMurray nearly won the Brickyard 400 back in 2003 (McMurray also had a strong run in 2004).  Chip would love nothing more than to win in NASCAR at Indy, and you can rest assured that he has placed a ton of focus on this race.  At the end of the day, don't be too surprised to see JPM turning in a podium finish.

Who? #11, Denny Hamlin
Why? It's Indy.  It's a flat track.  Look for a solid Top 10 from the #11 team this weekend.

Who? #20, Tony Stewart
Why? It's Indy.  It's summer time.  He's Tony Stewart.

Who? #01, Mark Martin
Why? Eight Top 10s in thirteen races at Indy.  He'd love to add another trophy to the mantle.  Maybe the Brickyard is the perfect anecdote to the distractions that have been going on in the last two weeks?

Who? #24, Jeff Gordon
Why? It's Indy.  Gordon has 4 wins at Indianapolis Motor Speedway, one shy of Michael Schumacher, the all-time leader in career Indy wins (total of five, all F1).  After winning the Inaugural Brickyard 400 in 1994, Gordon waited four years to capture his next Indianapolis win (1998).  Since then?  One win in every third year (2001, 2004).  Guess what year this is?  Ayep, 2007, three years since his last Brickyard trophy.  In the midst of a career year, I wouldn't bet against Mr. Gordon to continue that streak.

Who's Going to Win
I hinted at it two weeks ago at Chicagoland.  This weekend we'll be welcoming another first-time winner in NASCAR's Cup Series, none other than Clint Bowyer in the #07 Jack Daniel's Chevrolet.

Bowyer finished fourth at Indy during his rookie visit to the track (2006).  His RCR team is so very close to putting all of the pieces together, and I think that with the added attention that they have undoubtedly placed on The Brickyard, this is the weekend that they finally get the monkey off their back.

Look for the #07 to be in Victory Lane at Indianapolis on 7-29-07, in Clint Bowyer's 57th career Cup Series start.

Happy racing.

« Last Edit: July 29, 2007, 12:20:34 PM by Quack »

Signholder

• Administrator
  • Driver
    • View Profile
Re: The Brickyard - Home of U.S. Auto Racing
« Reply #1 on: July 31, 2007, 06:18:19 PM »
Who? #20, Tony Stewart
Why? It's Indy.  It's summer time.  He's Tony Stewart.

You say so much when you say so little. :D
Heeeer's yur sign!!!